Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4
15/04/2020
I heard back from James and gave his advice on my concerns, which is that I look for images and footage of the climate strike by school student and use that as B-roll.B-roll is not always meant to be of a good quality.
I may research into potential ethical considerations on consent for using other people's work.
James reckons I will be fine with going ahead with this as long as I focus on what the subject is about and interviews with key players. I could use their work and have interviews in voice-over, however I will consult with the course outline to double check what is required of me to do for my film project.
He also reckons my main concern is not being able to film climate strikes, which was only part of the problem. However, the B-roll could still convey drama and urgency depending on its content.
I will email James back and ask whether he could call me and we can talk about it properly like I did with Traci.
James is also impressed with the synopsis that I completed and sent to him a couple of weeks ago. He also reckons self-isolation will be over in three weeks at most.
I feel like I have direction again with this project.
I have been feeling better today. I hadn't been feeling mentally good from just before Easter until yesterday
Copyright research for using another person's work included into my own work
Digital Media Law Project. (n.d.). Getting permission to use the work of others. Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society. https://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/getting-permission-use-work-others
When you request permission to use material, be sure to notify the copyright owner of your name and contact information, the works of theirs you want to use, and reason for use (research, educational purposes, documentary).
If you are to intend to publish your work (with another person's work included) online, you can include their URL links in the description
Flickr and Open Photos are potential online places where you can get stock images to use for free. However, Open Photos doesn't look like a reliable provider.
University of Otago. (n.d.). Seeking permission to use copyright material. University of Otago. https://www.otago.ac.nz/administration/copyright/otago016321.html
If you don't hear back from the copyright owner in getting consent, it still doesn't justify you in legally using their work
Be sure to document the permission you request and/or receive
New Zealand Intellectual Property Office. (n.d.). Finding copyright owners. New Zealand Government. https://www.iponz.govt.nz/about-ip/copyright/finding-copyright-owners/
Copyright doesn't expire if a business has gone out of business or if the copyright owner is deceased. Someone else may have inherited the copyright ownership of a deceased person's work, depending on the deceased person's will.
If a business is liquidated, the liquidator tends to own that business' copyright and any other assets.
New Zealand Intellectual Property Office. (n.d.). Getting permission. New Zealand Government. https://www.iponz.govt.nz/about-ip/copyright/getting-permission/
Permission and acknowledging the copyright owner is not the same thing. You must get permission before you use or acknowledge their work, if it's work done or owned by someone else other than yourself.
A formal legal contract is not always necessary to obtain consent for using an individual's work(s).
The request for permission to use an individual's work(s) should be reasonably clear like mentioned in the Digital Media Law Project webpage.
- A precise description of how you want to use their work in your work, what will happen to the finished film with their work included, what type of audience the finished film will be targeted to (with their work included)
- The person requested for permission can confirm that it is their own original work and not someone else.
- Ask if the copyright owner have preference on how their work is to be credited
- Request for the copyright owner to reply at their convenience.
Obtaining permission to use another person's work is a matter of negotiation. In the case they allow you permission, it sometimes may have limitations, conditions, and/or a fee is included.
Do not use another person's work in a disrespectful or immoral context. Acknowledge the person who make changes or modifications to the work, depending on whether or not the copyright owner will allow such changes.
The inability to find a copyright owner is not justifiable in committing copyright infringement.
However, you can claim that you couldn't track down the copyright owner after meticulous searching for him or her, as well as the assumption that the copyright has expired or the author has been deceased for 50 years or more.
When using another person's material without permission, some people in that situation determine the weight of the benefits of using the copyrighted material against the risks of legal action from the copyright owner
You can include a 'good faith' notice in the credits stating that you could not track down the copyright owner, but are open to pay a reasonable fee for using their material.
However, this does not give you legal protection from copyright infringement
New Zealand Intellectual Property Office. (n.d.). Duration of copyright. New Zealand Government. https://www.iponz.govt.nz/about-ip/copyright/duration/
Copyright for still images last 50 years form the end of the calendar year, in the case of the author's death. This also applies to screenplays and lone film scenes.
Copyright for film and sound recordings last 50 years from the end of the calendar year, in the case of when the film or sound recording was made or released to the public.
This also applies to podcast, television broadcasts and repeats.
WildEarth Guardians. (2019, September 22). Denver climate strike march 2019 [Video file]. Flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wildearth_guardians/48772908058/in/photolist-2hiTUkU-2fcDC5k-2e6Hx9s-RrhSzk-2f7Y3cJ-RrhwKv-RrgZ1D-T4sxRA-2dNMjtH-2huEtVV-24A7PYV-2dNMnGr-Rrhyxt-2f7YHwf-2f7YEKJ-24A7ynV-24A7kN6-RrhKUr-2hpsQeB-2hje2LS-2hmKzp4-24A7i6x-RrhKXx-2fcCK4c-2huBJtL-2fcDzgV-T4s6tf-2f7YJKC-2fcDjdi-RrgWhc-2e6HkTG-2fcDzkH-2fcDjaH-2f7XZsL-2hiEN1W-2itvNR2-2himjon-2e6Hj7L-2f7YELA-T4szNS-24A7qfH-RrhMsg-Rrhanv-2dNM4D2-T4rUJj-2huEtje-2dNMx6g-T4rUNs-2e6Hq5Y-24A85qR
I searched for climate strike images on Flickr under the Creative Commons, only to also find footage that I can legally use. The footage is from America, but it will likely not make a difference to the viewers or audience and gives you an idea what I was aiming to do if the COVID-19 pandemic didn't happen this year.
Voice-over script
I have written a start on a voice-over script for the dramatized news reporters like in the idea that I have included in my presentation. This could be good in introducing the characters or people interviewed in this documentary. Dramatized scenes and B-roll stick footage would be used mostly for the voice-over.
The idea is to use the news reporter voice-over to make it authentic. Erwin Nicholson, Sophie Worner, Oisin O'Connell, and Lee (since she is a former journalist) are my first choices for the news reporter voices. I might also consult with Patrick about this because of his background in current affairs and broadcasting.
I did get a good start on a voice-over script. I typed it up on Celtx.
It would be good if I could get drone footage of Invercargill. SIT Productions might have footage like that.
New River Estuary could potentially be a filming location for the abstract snippets.
Rethinking my mood board may give a more positive and optimistic tone (similar to the background of my presentation slides), as well as suit my target audience better.
Lately I have been the most productive during the evening or late afternoon.
Main aspects in the documentary
- Interviews with human subjects; 16:9
- B roll of Invercargill (location, abstract snippets); 16:9
- Dramatized scenes of main human subject; 4:3
Minor aspects
- B roll of school climate strikes
- B roll of parliamentary debates
- B roll of news articles; 16:9
Additional things to include in my presentation
(most are likely to be done tomorrow)
- Modified synopsis - From the year that was to change of tactics as a result of COVID-19. We explore the challenges and planning put into action on combating climate change in Invercargill. What is more to do more, especially with the covid-19 overwhelming the world.
- Timeline and resources
- - Head of the NZ movement on their thoughts on Invercargill's efforts.
- Revise ideas from earlier blog posts
- [Creative decisions] Abstract of handheld close ups of green environments to subconsciously remind the audience of what is at stake when it comes to climate change and of the subject.
- [Ethical considerations] Include permission from media outlets (Stuff, Newshub) to use their articles in my short documentary
- [Ethical considerations] Include permission from students and others to use their footage or still images of the local climate strikes in my short documentary
- [Ethical considerations] Appropriate crediting format for stock footage or images protected under Creative Commons
- [Ethical considerations] Include standing order that allows me to use footage of parliamentary debates
- Rethink my mood board
16/04/2020
I have been thinking of introducing Invercargill as a city, but I don't see that happening since the City Council doesn't allow you film on Dee Street or Tay Street. I wonder if SIT Productions have footage I can use of Invercargill, drone footage if I'm lucky.
https://www.nzstockfootage.co.nz/video-stock-footage/invercargill-city-roundabout-1/
Decent stationary footage of the Clock Roundabout in Invercargill
Cost - NZ$99
https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1012925966-new-zealand-invercargill-zoom-space
Interesting Earth VFX zoom in of Invercargill's location in the world
Cost - US$79 (NZ$132)
There isn't any decent footage of Invercargill as a city that I couldn't do myself. There is better and more dynamic footage on here of Timaru as a city than Invercargill.
https://www.gettyimages.no/detail/video/news-footage/1170624853
This would be a perfect option if TVNZ didn't make Getty Images charge so much for the purchase of a licence - $990 for a short film!
I could only get it cheaper if it was only released on a digital platform, which I cannot guarantee. Even then, it's still out of my price range - $200!
These could be potential compromises to introduce Invercargill as a city. Maybe also Queens Drive?
This location could work with filming some of my abstract snippets
It will prove difficult to consistent apply the aspect ratio for artistic purposes if the stock footage of the climate strikes will be in different aspect ratio, which is likely (16:9, 9:16)
If interview subjects aren't comfortable with me or my film crew filming them because COVID-19, I will have to compromise and let him film their own testimonials with their phone or computer.
First choices for film crew (may change due to COVID-19)
Director of Photography - Tyler Baikie
Assistant Camera - David Mosen
Gaffer - Oisin O’Connell
Sound recordist - Bo Myburgh
Boom operator - 1st year student / international student
Runner - 1st year student / international student
Health and Safety Officer - Zara Samuel
Gaffer would only be needed for the interviews and possibly the dramatized scenes
Equipment needed
Sony F55 - Interviews, B-roll of Invercargill, dramatized scenes
Sony F3 - backup camera for F55
Ursa - Handheld B-roll, backup camera for F3
Zoom H6 sound recorder
Boom pole
Audio booth for recording voice-over
A second mood board
I start looking for more images for a new mood board that has the new tone I have envisioned for my documentary. However, the overall tone in my short documentary might be a mix of the two mood boards to balance vibrant optimism with a natural tone. I wouldn't want the colours too vibrant, but just enough that it provokes a positive mood and look natural at the same time. The documentary, 2040 is a good example of this.
It was easy to find vibrant images of landscapes, but people in the way I have envisioned was a different story.
https://www.sustainablebusinesstoolkit.com/5-tips-help-keep-environment-clean/
https://www.greenchildmagazine.com/7-eco-friendly-tips-to-keep-the-environment-safe-and-clean/
http://www.powerhousegrowers.com/category/urban-design/healthy-cities-urban-planning/page/4/
https://blog.luxvacation.com/what-makes-an-eco-friendly-city-and-how-are-they-green/
17/04/2020
I talked to James over the phone and he's been satisfied with my progress. He has advised me to be optimistic and believe that I can film as normal in the aftermath of COVID-19. But he does understand my need for future proofing my project in light of this.20/04/2020
Today I have realized that the inability to focus is not the only thing that has slowed my productivity during the lockdown, but also my will and motivation in getting course work done.I tried to work on the timing of my presentation. I came to the realization that there is no time limit for the presentation included in the course outline. I will email James about it tomorrow, but I will still time it in the meantime just to see how much time it consumes to present.
I used the stopwatch on my phone, but I kept interrupting it because I kept finding typing errors in my slides. I got as far as eight slides before I got tired of practicing my presentation and took six and a half minutes to get to those many slides. it made me aware of information in the slides are unnecessary.
I practiced with a few more slides, but it roughly took another five minutes.











Comments
Post a Comment