Research - Week 3
26/02/2019
I came in late for class today because I didn't know we still had it in the middle of the one-on-one sessions and the message to me implied that there would be no class.However, I spent time at home with the presentation making sure it's at the best I could get it at and to get to the 500 word mark for the presentation script, which was at 450 words.
It's not perfect, it's rough, but it's the best I could do in the amount of time I had.
I also received the updated one-on-one sessions document late and was left out, but I was too late to email about it, so I will have a proper one-on-one with my tutor next week. I got the email late because I have been having communication problems with the SIT WiFi at the student apartments.
I had my discussion with Bex and found the idea is really stripping colour out of film to be black and white. What she wants me to do this week is to develop storyboards for the short dramatic sequence that I am proposing to do and look over my blog and make sure that all the content I have been looking are APA referenced. I was also made clear that the final film MUST be 3-5 minutes long because that is the requirement for second year film students doing this paper. Not 2 minutes as I originally envisioned.
So I must look back at the sequence I have in mind, place into a screenwriting structure and see if it's enough for 3 minutes (3 pages on a film script). If it is not, I would to need think about how to extend or shorten it.I was also encouraged as part of my research to search for examples of colour and split screens in film, especially historically.
03/03/2019
I came into the Downtown Campus and started to write out the film script to see if the dramatic sequence I have in mind is long enough for the 3 minutes. I tried Celtx, but the free version of the software has really limited down on what is available for you to use, so I may have to pay a subscription to the software for future use. However, in the meantime, I will use the screenplay formatting on Google Docs.Initially with mainly the dialogue, it's a page and a half, so I'm intending to print it out and write out by hand the actions because I work best writing by hand than through typing. I will storyboard the film and then add any changes to the script from the storyboard, and then type all the changes and actions up in the script.
Firstly, I went to reference the journals I discussed about last week and tried to teach myself EndNote. I was able to reference Cinema Journal because there was some pages and an article I was referring, but I couldn't reference the other journals properly because I didn't have an article to refer, instead it was the entire journal. I then looked at the APA guides on the SIT library website and discovered that it can be referenced as an entire journal. I just don't reference the page numbers. I tried that, but I'm concerned I have not done it right because I don't have an article title, instead I have a journal title.
Looking back, I would have to tried to consult with Studiosity
Duncan,
J., Edwards, G., & Fordham, J. (2018). Cinefix(161).
Powers,
J. (2018). A DIY Come-on: A History of Optical Printing in Advant-Garde Cinema.
Cinema Journal, 57(4), 77-78.
I spent some time looking at the books on film at the SIT library flipping through to their indexes to see if particular film books talked about colour, monochrome, black and white, or split screen. I did find two books; one of which had colour included in their index and one book had chapter titles that made me have a hunch that it may have some relevant information. I issued both of them out of the library.
Comments
Post a Comment