Research - Week 11


27/04/2019

I watched this film, Natural Born Killers to review for my screen arts blog and incidentally found it quite relevant to my research project because it's a film that uses both black and white to tell a different context in a scene, just like I'm aiming to do and I wish I knew about this aspect in this film earlier and I could had mentioned in my proposal presentation or critique.

Hamsher, J., Murphy, D., Townsend, C., Vossler, R., & Stone, O. (1994). Natural born killers [Motion picture]. United States: Warner Brothers.

What's the purpose of switching between black and white and colour in this scene?




Homage to 50's sitcom. It uses black and white to tell the scene in a different tone, which likely the only reason that it is used in this film. I don't know why for other reasons.














In the prison scene, the use of black and white is done like it's meant to replicate archival footage with a lot of film grain.





 
Colour TV in black and white setting makes the TV stand out in the shot.






This particular scene of the film is in VHS quality and reminds you of The Blair Witch Project, which is another film that switches that back and forward in black and white and colour, but that film uses black and white for film footage and colour for VHS behind the scenes footage. In this film, it goes back and forward with not black and white and colour, but VHS quality colour













  






29/04/2019



I had received the message from Bex a couple of days ago concerning that we needed to put together a presentation of our progress over the term break, but all I can offer to present is the observations from watching Natural Born Killers and the fact that the research question hasn't changed. It couldn't do more on my project in the past week because things took longer and not according to plan involving my assessments in screen arts (scene analysis and proposal) and cinematography (video essay), which are due in the first week of course after the term break.

I managed to put together a presentation for tomorrow on what I managed to do over the term break


https://uproxx.com/viral/johnny-cash-warmed-tarantino-to-natural-born-killers-and-other-things-you-might-not-know-about-the-film/

Stice, J. (2014). Johnny Cash Warmed Tarantino To ‘Natural Born Killers’ And Other Things You Might Not Know About The Film. Retrieved from https://uproxx.com/viral/johnny-cash-warmed-tarantino-to-natural-born-killers-and-other-things-you-might-not-know-about-the-film/






The colour green involving Mickey (Woody Harrleson) was intended to express that the character was sick in the head and that's he is eating key lime pie in the opening scene, and why green is used completely in some scenes like in the drug store or during the prison riot

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110632/trivia?item=tr0774747

IMDb. (n.d.). Natural born killers (1994 - trivia - imdb. Retrieved April 29, 2019, from https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110632/trivia?item=tr0774747

The switching between colour and black and white was intended to express the inner and outer moments, in other words how it really happened and how the character(s) interpreted the moment. Inner moments are in black and white and outer moments are in colour




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3