Research - Week 8
02/04/2019
Bex informed us that assessments for this paper is task-orientated. As long as we tick the boxes of what is required for us to do for an assessment, we will pass.
Today was getting our results from our individual proposal presentation and I was very nervous about it. The grade turned out to be not as bad as I thought and I was pleased with the passed grade and I felt that the tutor comments were fair.
Reflecting on Bex's feedback, I am uncertain what she means by 'trialing different formats' because I do not see what other formats I could had used for this project or presentation. I asked for Bex to clarify that comment of hers and she explained that she was referring to the class feedback where they were wondering if I would consider and experiment with different sorts of split screen.
Even though I will mention about my active documentation methodology in my presentation, I definitely should had included it in the slide presentation as most presentations have done so. The same does for having a timeline in my next steps part. However, there seems to be a large amount of content in my presentation as it is for a 5 minute critique.
We gave feedback to each others' our critiques as we went along. It wasa a bit crazy and rushed to write them up
PJ
It would had been good to see to had seen more content generated included in the presentation
Caleb
Our the character see each other is achieved through lighting. I wonder where the location is that you used and you seem to have quite expertise in lighting, but it's good you're developing that further. You seem to have great graphic design for your presentation and reflecting on your progress, it made me wish I did my project on developing my lighting skills.
Bethany
It made feel that I could had developed more for my project. I wonder what software was used to animate the clean animatic. You have done a decent amount of progress so far.
Devon
I like how your presentation is short and gets straight to the point about your progress.
Kyle
I think it is good how you reflected on how you're progressed and you are making steady progress.
Gayle
It's good seeing visuals of your documentation, progress, and analysis. Some of your slides had too much text. Although, you are making great progress with your project.
Luqman
It is interesting how you are applying a heuristic approach to your documentation and you seem to be very well-organised with your next steps.
Fabriani
Your colour script panel is off to a good start.
Corrie
Your first portrait looks professionally done. The second portrait looks like something out of manga, anime, or graphic novel.
Oisin
It is good to see a mix of written and visual development as part of your recent progress.
Jay
You have developed some good concept art for your characters.
Natasha
Your concept sounds similar to The Wizard of Oz. I like how you have put in a bit of thought into the context of the 1930's costumes.
Jean Martin
I like how you have managed and organised many aspects for film production. The structure you have in mind seems to be quite a bit for this research paper.
Liana
I like the visual planning that you have generated for your project.
Teresa
I quite like your illustrations, but there is potential room for improvement in your project.
Jacqui
I am impressed how much progress you have made with a changed research concept.
Rach
Interesting how your performative research works well with your drawing medium.
My critique presentation
Feedback from tutor on my critique presentation
Question development: good refinement but be prepared to do further
Research: How are you using this research in your practice?
- Filters (analogue vs digital)
- Equipment choice?
Practice: How much post-processing will be needed to resolve technical issues? Is this adding or taking away from raw footage
Go back to your question
- refine your shot sequence
- experiment with phone to understand capacity
Feedback from the class on my critique presentation
Good ideas. Film up plans.
Consider using some bounce, and only using natural lighting. Good luck!
Reflecting on this comment, it's an idea that I didn't think of and I wish did.
Lots of work. Keep up the great work!
Reflecting on this comment, it's good to know that someone believes that I'm not as behind as I think I am. It's also reassuring that I'm doing things right.
Very thought out you might want to hire a back light for when shooting inside
Reflecting on this comment, I don't see the need for back light because of the bright sunlight beaming from the windows
Look good. I'm glad you changed to a smaller question. Less stress.
Reflecting on this comment, I agree on shortening the research question and the fact it will bring less stress
Much better research question, way clearer!! Like your observations on use and properties of colour, will a phone be a powerful enough tool to do them justice? What's the story of your scene?
Reflecting on this comment, I understand questioning the quality of my phone, but I'm sticking to it. As for the story, I potentially could had mentioned that it has not changed.
Best of luck
Good job
Keep it up
Hire a camera
Reflecting on this comment, it's good to see more than one person believes I am doing a great effort at my project. However, I want to stay with using my phone for filming as much as possible and I do not desire to hire out a camera for this project. Maybe lighting equipment, but not a camera.
Since your question is what is the impact of stripping colour, will you have a form question handed out to the viewers to throw their interpretation of the footage?
Reflecting on this comment, It is an interesting idea, but I do not to complicate my whole project by adding an extra element into the fold
Very heavy detail and it would be best not to film facing windows unless you have a fortune to apply a diffuse gel on the windows. Try to film away from the windows.
Reflecting on this comment, I have got to say that it is very spot on and I agree. It is most definitely something I will keep in mind for when I am filming in my flat again.
Dissertation assessment
We are not doing an extensive dissertation like it is for third year students, but we will be doing a simplified one and a literature review component as part of our dissertation
Workplaces overseas demand a high standard, which is why our workload is massive.
Everything to do with your project. Useful to do for our dissertation to start to think about what resources you have already and what is needed to be done to make things easier for when the submission date does around. I could use the Colour book for the literature review, but condense it into a sentence.
Exhibition assessment
Think about what you need to do to make the exhibition successful. You don't get any marks by doing nothing for this exhibition and is 60% of our mark for this paper. It is fair that we each do a lot of hard work for organising the exhibition individually. Poster, advertising, catering. I could reflect on what I did a couple of years ago for organising the Polychrome exhibition and try to find documentation from back then. Maybe the same for the RIPE exhibition last year.
It is to prepare us for organising the end of year exhibition as part of our research paper next semester.
We are thinking about doing a weekly meeting about pulling off this exhibition for next term.
All second year animation students have experience with hanging up their own work for exhibitions.
We should start thinking about access to television and projectors and possibly consult with Chris on this, and what roles we will each play to organise this exhibition
The grade value of parts concerning the exhibition towards the research paper, give us an idea to think about what we should prioritise when completing the assessment.
We are now should organise a way of communication for organising the exhibition. We thought about Blackboard, but 10 of us in the class were in favour with using Blackboard, but not everyone regularly checks or can access Blackboard. The alternative is to use Discord because it's more user-friendly and can be used with an app on your phone. Remember to include hashtag when mentioning about your username. I need to sign up on Discord and FB message my username to Oisin, who has volunteered to be the admin for the group chat on this online service.
Instead of doing it later, I signed up to Discord and gave my username to Oisin, so that he can find me and let me join the online discussion.
I managed to get a start on editing together a template on Resolve of what I have in mind on the final film and encountered very little difficulty, aside from realising that I forgot to film some minor shots that are in the storyboard. At this stage, it's 55 seconds of editing footage.
07/04/2019
I continued to edit footage together for the template on Resolve with the intention of completing one. I would need to do research later to explore different types of split screen, so for the time being, I just experiment with a type of split screen that I have in mind as you will see soon.As you see in the image above, I have discovered something wrong with a clip of the test footage that I did not notice up until today, which is the footage is on a tilted angle, which is what I do not want for the shot and I did not realise I had it at a tilt at the time of the test filming.
I managed to fix the problem by clicking into the Inspector option on the right corner of the software's window, and manipulate the Zoom, Position, and Rotation Angle, in which it makes it look like no longer tilted. I think I had to sacrifice some of the framing, but it was the best I could think of.
I applied similar adjustments to the other part of this shot that was also tilted, but I think the Position was adjusted more to the left than it was previously so you could see more of the subject's head. By fixing the tilted footage, I applied the attitude that anything can be fixed in post-production.
I continued the editing on Resolve, but before it was completed I had two separate shots where in the storyboard it is one, so I tried to blend them together with the Inspector, but found because of the Handheld style of filming used here, it couldn't consistent be done right. I just abandoned the idea of blending them together and just kept them separate in the edit.
I selected all of the footage and applied the grade that I prepared a few weeks ago for this sequence and it came out much better than I expected. The colouring made me think of a dying sunset. As for the black and white version, it made the bright sunlight and bad exposure more manageable to the human eye to watch this sequence and I believe it made it more visually dramatic.
The plan is to add the colour grade on all the footage and export them as a H.264 video file, then do the same process, but with the black and white grade and export it as a separate H.264 video file from the one in colour. I ultimately succeeded in doing this.
I created a project file, but waited until I knew for certain what the duration of the edited footage was and so I waited until the colour version was finished exporting into a video file and found that it was two minutes long. It is one minute short if it was to be the final film, so hopefully when the real final film is done, it will not be one minute short and if it is, I will just try and fit in some pick-up filming.
The strange thing about the exported video file was that it did not become the file type I was expecting... It was .mov instead MP4.
Fearing that the .mov file type wouldn't be compatible with After Effects for putting the two videos into one, I imported it before exporting the black and white version. It was okay because it managed to import into the After Effects project with no problem.
I also scaled down the video to fit the format I have in mind, but there will be more adjustment made to the Scale once the black and white version is exported from Resolve and imported to here on After Effects.
The black and white version managed to export from Resolve and import into After Effects fine. I scaled it down, but it will take a while to get proportionally aligned and sized with each other. In the image above, both versions of the edited test footage are scaled down to 40%.
I increased the scale of both version to 50%, but they were only just over the frame, so I dialed it down to 47% and it looked better and is probably the biggest scaled size I am going to get these two videos into this frame. I enabled the grid ruler and dragged one down to meticulously check that the two videos were aligned properly with each other in the frame and they were aligned. I am still not convinced that it is aligned properly yet, since the two videos does not look centered enough in the framing.
I managed to center the videos more in the composition by temporarily adding a solid layer and using their center point as reference to move the ruler line. After which, I removed the solid layer and saw that the two videos were a bit off the center point, so I shifted its Postion up. I previewed some of the video and found in a particular shot, the content in the colour version looked bigger than in the black and white version.
It has made me consider and could help in further developing the research question, which is; What version of this sequence attracts your eye more
I exported the After Effects project into a H.264 MP4 video file by queuing it into Media Encoder. From there, I was view both versions in one video.
I had links to information of different types of split screen to explore and I was planning to replicate them on Adobe or Resolve software, but I had a mental block on collating information together in my own words.
https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/split-screen-editing-and-composing/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9soYHz9HDec
https://designshack.net/articles/trends/split-screen-design/
https://vimeo.com/23768767
Maher, M. (2016). The art of split screen. Retrieved from https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/split-screen-editing-and-composing/
Justin Odisho. (2018, May 17). 5 Awesome split screen video effects in adobe premiere pro! (cc tutorial) [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9soYHz9HDec
Design Shack. (2018). Split Screen Design: The Trend That Keeps Growing. Retrieved April 7, 2019, from https://designshack.net/articles/trends/split-screen-design/
Marco Heiter. (2011, May 15). Split Screen in Movies [Video file]. Retrieved from https://vimeo.com/23768767


Comments
Post a Comment