Screen Arts - Week 8


01/04/2019

Canton, N., Gale, B., & Zemeckis, R. (1985). Back to the future [Motion picture]. United States: Universal Pictures.

Finerman, W., Newirth, C., Starkey, S., Tisch, S., & Zemeckis, R. (1994). Forrest gump. [Motion picture]. United States: Paramount Pictures.

BillyGlenn. (2006, October 1). Back to the future part I original theatrical trailer[Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yosuvf7Unmg

YouTube Movies. (2012, May 22). Forrest gump - trailer. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLvqoHBptjg






We discussed about the work of Frank Capra and Robert Zemeckis, starting Zemeckis. I'm very familiar with Zemeckis work from growing up watching the Back to the Future trilogy and The Polar Express. We watched movie trailers of Zemeckis films like the first Back to the Future and Forrest Gump. I do like how important modern American history is blended in with the plot of Forrest Gump and still is a very quotable movie. Concerning the Best Picture Oscar won by Forrest Gump, I felt The Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction were more deserving.


Martin, C., Rapke, J., Starkey, S., & Zemeckis, R. (2018). Welcome to marwen. [Motion picture]. United States: Universal Pictures.

Universal Pictures. (2018, June 20). Welcome to marwen - official trailer. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6dy7xQ8NeE




It's been a long time since the last time I seen the trailer for Welcome to Marwen and it makes me want to watch the movie more from watching the trailer again.

Capra was a constantly fired as film director during the 1920's because he had all long shots on the first day and other shots all on individual days. He is potentially an early Hollywood example of an auteur before it was coined.
His stories were sentimental and patriotic, and set in the Great Depression. He allowed political diversity in his films, but was blacklisted by Hollywood for eight years during the 1950's.


Capra, F. (1939). Mr. smith goes to washington. [Motion picture]. United States: Columbia Pictures.

Movieclips Classic Trailers. (2018, August 7). Mr. smith goes to washington (1939) trailer #1 | movieclips classic trailers. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpJSB4Gbljc



It's not a film with a title that would be used nowadays in cinema and despite its trailer having a outdated style, it made me want to watch Mr Smith Goes to Washington


Capra, F. (1944). Arsenic and old lace. [Motion picture]. United States: Warner Brothers.

Movieclips Classic Trailers. (2012, October 5). Arsenic and old lace (1944) official trailer - cary grant, peter lorre movie hd. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCWBDwkhGN0




There something about the trailer of Arsenic and Old Lace doesn't make the movie age well and I can't put my finger on it. It could be because it has cringe.

Capra, F. (1946). It's a wonderful life. [Motion picture]. United States: RKO Radio Pictures.

Londonforchristmas. (2007, October 24). It's a wonderful life - trailer. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJfZaT8ncYk



No comment on the trailer of It's a Wonderful Life. I have however watched portions of the movie before a couple of Christmases ago. It's a film I would want watch in its entirely because I haven't had been in the mood to watch it on Netflix.


Welles, O. (1941). Citizen kane [Motion picture]. United States: RKO Radio Pictures

I tried to get a copy of Citizen Kane from the DVD library, but the copy they had was Region 1, instead of Region 4. Because of this, I couldn't watch it and gave it back to Chris. I could hire out a Region 4 copy out from Aro Video, but I will do that at some point in the future.
However, my tutor, Traci informed me that despite the DVD being Region 1 it should still work on playing it on computers (including computers in The Cell and my own laptop) by using VLC Media Player. I will need to think about this.

In the meantime, I will just watch Blade Runner on Netflix this week, as well as a DVD copy of One Flew the Cuckoo's Nest that I managed to get from the DVD library on-campus.


It Happened One Night

Capra, F. (1934). It happened one night. [Motion picture]. United States: Columbia Pictures.



  • This film is an example of the glamour of smoking, masculinity, and causal domestic violence and sexism in that era of cinema and clearly shown.
  • I never thought scenes from a film from this era would make me laugh like how that journalist reversed the pay phone charges to his boss
  • Datedness - Cigarettes sold on buses
  • Production Code - unmarried couples sleeping in separate beds (in fact, it was one of last comedies to be made before the Production Code was introduced)
  • It would be interesting if a modern reboot had the gender roles reversed
It has recently been restored in 4K and ended up winning big at the Oscars
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Happened_One_Night

Wikipedia (n.d.). It happened one night - wikipedia. Retrieved April 1, 2019, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Happened_One_Night

I would mind watching the entirety of this film at some point.



One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Douglas, M., Zaentz, S., & Forman, M. (1975). One flew over the cuckoo's nest. [Motion picture]. United States: United Artists.






I like the zooms in the first group therapy scene. In that scene is where you feel subconsciously that Nurse Ratched is an antagonist. The zooms do continue every now and then consistently throughout the film.





The moment it starts at the hospital at the beginning of the film, even then the story starts to get engaging.

I could see there was use of reincorporation in the story between the scene with McMurphy trying to lift up a drinking fountain to throw into a window and escape, and the ending scene where Chief succeeds in doing so.





Nurse Ratched was a powerfully written and portrayed antagonist as she says very little, as well as in a soft tone and a lot of the stuff she says is implied. 

I would say this film had Brad Dourif's best performance of his career, especially since it was his feature film debut in acting and that he was in the Lord of the Rings film trilogy and the Child's Play film series.

But overall, this film's strengths was acting, screenwriting, and at times, cinematography. I believe the best performances in the film equally came from Jack Nicholson (McMurphy), Louside Fletcher (Nurse Ratched), Brad Dourif (Billy Bibbit), Will Sampson (Chief), and Christopher Lloyd (Taber). It could almost be considered an ensemble film cast.

It was interesting to see Lloyd in his feature film debut in acting and the fact it was a decade before his Back to the Future fame.





02/04/2019

For my scene analysis, it would be interesting to do it on the opening credits sequence from Reservoir Dogs and plan to do my own take on it.




Bender, L., Keitel, H., & Tarantino, Q. (1992). Reservoir dogs. [Motion picture]. United States: Miramax.



06/04/2019

Deeley, M., & Scott, R. (1982). Blade runner [Motion picture]. United States: Warner Brothers.

I would say the superiority of the visuals in this film are equal that to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. The music is what dates this film because synthesizer music was overly in movies released in the 1970's and 1980's. e.g. Nightmare on Elm Street, The Bounty, A Clockwork Orange.





Uses sound to indicate tense emotions feeling by Leon when asked the tortoise in the desert question and he almost does a blank stare. Without the sound, intensity wouldn't be effectively communicated to the audience as it would without it.

I have seen the first hour of the Director's Cut and I think when Leon shoots that Tyrell Corp guy, the scene is longer, whereas in this version (Theatrical Version), it is cut short.




I don't recall Deckard narrating in the Director's Cut like he does in the Theatrical Version. 

I think the narration is annoying, unnecessary, it ruins the mystery with Deckard as a character, as well as the film's tone and genre. The narration also felt like it was smothering me with exposition. It's a good example on why images should speak for themselves.



In Deckard's first meeting with Rachael, the theatrical cut doesn't have Deckard walking into the office, it cuts straight to the chase. Actually, I'm just going to stop it here because it makes me not want to continue watching this version, it was feeling like a waste of time to watch the whole thing, and the editing seems really bad like it came from a VHS, which ruins it's timelessness. I can see why it didn't do well at the time at it's release. 

To be fair, I believe the visuals are the probably the only redeeming quality of this film.I'll try and find the Director's Cut somewhere. I lasted 17-18 minutes into watching the Theatrical Version on Netflix. There is a Blu-ray copy of the film in the DVD Library and a DVD copy in the City Library.



07/04/2019


What's a movie that gives you a "warm" feeling when you watch it?
There are many movies that I could mention that makes me happy at the end of watching it, but at the top of my head I would mention The Polar Express.

I know it's a Zemeckis film, but I was getting stumped on what feel-good film to mention for this blog question.


Boyd, S. J., Goetzman, G., Starkey, S., Teitler, W., & Zemeckis, R. (2004). The polar express [Motion picture]. United States: Warner Brothers.





What makes a movie TOO emotional or "heart warming"?  When does it become cringey?
I believe when the dialogue or plot is too corny or is too consistent with good and emotional stuff, it becomes cringey over time. It needs be diverse by putting a pich of bad stuff happen in the story


Does Robert Zemeckis' use of special effects ever detract from the story?
In Forrest Gump, it support the story and plot. In Back to the Future and The Walk, it was necessary. In Beowulf, it was definitely distracting. However, I have no problem with the motion capture effects in The Polar Express or A Christmas Carol.


Is there still a place for movies that feature Frank Capra's themes of sentiment, courage, family, and patriotism?
In retrospect and part of history, there is still a place for his films, but nowadays it may come off as too old-fashioned and conservative. However, it may still work in some stories just by chance.




How To Make A TARANTINO Film In 7 Minutes Or Less
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRodrZNAZYs

CinemaSins. (2014, December 10). How to make a tarantino film in 7 minutes or less
 [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRodrZNAZYs





Funny, witty, cool, interesting and snappy dialogue. It doesn't have need to do with anything in the scene. Dialogue in Tarantino films tend to be about movies, television, music, and popular culture

Bloody gore effects, which I could achieve with my flatmate because he has experience making practical special effects and make up like that.

Rock, pop, and hip-hop from the 1970's and 1980's

Anti-heroes: violent individuals with good intentions






Drug use, black and white suits, N-bombs, 'Wilhelm scream'. Out of those things, I would only have black and white suits and 'Wilhelm scream' included.























Steal aspects directly from other movies and TV shows



Consistently uses the same camera angle repeatedly like the POV...



God's eye view (high angle shot),...


Following (Dolly) shot,...


360 degree panning,...




Table two shot,...




...Countless close ups on womens' feet.

Comments

  1. I have several copies of different versions of Blade Runner, including director's cut... they're all region 1 but there's always VLC. VLC should already be installed on the SIT computers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3