Cinematography - Week 13


09/05/2019

We had a morning spent on gimbal equipment being demonstrated that's available to us. The mini version was something that was very user-friendly and I was impressed by the artificial intelligence in the giimbal. I had been wondering what was being referred it came to 'gimbal' in filmmaking, since it was new to me. 

I had a go with the mini version and it was much more stable than I expected and could easily fake a dolly tracking shot like in a Scorsese film. Ash was advised us against using gimbal instead of handheld unless we had a good reason for it or if it wasn't because we were too lazy to do it handheld steadily or put a dolly together.

I have spoken with Lukas and he is fine with the Soundie for the filming of my testimonial. The sound equipment that connects directly into the camera doesn't work at the moment, according to Lukas, so he intends to use something like a boom pole and the sound recorder.

There were two other versions of gimbal, but one of them look liked pipes around a camera and the other was a glidecam.

The higher frame rate, the more flicker you will get in your image. It's best to film in natural light outside than artificial light indoors. For filming at high frame rate, At least use 2k HDI lights because anything less than 2k like the Aladdin or LED lights, it will flicker uncontrollably. 

But redheads can be a gamble. No matter what frame rate you have, you keep the shutter at 180 degrees because of the lights in NZ being 50Hz.

I will need to shoot my showreel stuff with a flat colour profile. I may need to do some testing with the Blackmagic cameras to get it to a flat colour profile. I will go and see Chris tomorrow about whether I could take out a Blackmagic over the weekend.

I threw together a storyboard of nearly four pages for my chase sequences and used photos I took last term when location scouting and planning out camera shots, but I also added sketches of additional shots that I have in mind. I placed all together in a A4 document by using InDesign. A lot of the shots in the storyboard were intended to be stationary tripod shots, but with all I have learned since then, I have made most of the shots in storyboard handheld, with the exception of one tripod shot and one dolly tracking shot. 

I made most of the shots handheld to signify the intensity of the action, not calm and boring with shots done on a tripod.

From there, I completed the shot lists for my chase sequence and genre sequence.




Additional shots sketches






Chase sequence storyboard







Shot list - Chase sequence





Shot list - Genre sequence







10/11/2019


I talked with Oisin and Luqman and they were not happy chappies about my progress. They thought my creative process was wrong and that I have not been doing enough progress, which really depressed me.

I managed to complete half of a script for my genre sequence before we all met up together as a class in the communal area.

Notes from the meeting in the communal area



11/04/2019

I worked on Caleb's genre sequence as a 2nd AC, which was a role that was both new and familiar to me. I knew what to do with the slate, but the camera report was new to me because I could only vaguely recall about how to use it from earlier classes. Similar to boot camp, there were occasional communication problems between myself and Oisin (1st AD) because of my autism and inability to read particular social cues. 

However, Caleb did let me use his own slate that he provided for filming. It was very exhausting day of filming for me, working from 7am to 7pm. I had to come in at 7am instead of 8am because I needed to print out the camera report for the filming today.


12/04/2019

We had difficulty getting access to the nursing building at the main campus, but Luqman somehow found a way around. My role for filming Luqman's genre sequence today was runner, but I was barely needed. I left just before 11am because I was feeling unwell today.

14/05/2019


I went to see Chris to book the Blackmagic cameras from the 23rd to the 27th of May, as well as 18-35 mm and 35 mm lenses, tripods and batteries. With the lenses available, I couldn't go ahead with 28mm like I had practiced with in the lighting tests.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3