Screen Arts - Week 14
13/05/2019
Oberhausen Manifesto (German New Wave cinema) / film movement) reflected on what was happening around them and contemporary issues, and mixed art with politics.We looked at Wim Wenders and watched a trailer of his film, Wings of Desire.
2AM Ltd. (2014, December, 4). Wings of desire (trailer) [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAzzR2Uklok
Werner Herzog was a filmmaker part of this manifesto. Roger Ebert was an admirer of his films and I did like his voice cameo in Rick and Morty. We watched a trailer of his one of his films, Wrath of God.
Guterman, D., Ridely, R., Roiland, J., & Meza-Leon, J. J. (2015). Interdimensional Cable 2: Tempting Fate [Television series episode]. In D. Behesania., K. Crofford., D. Harmon., M. Lazzo., J. Roiland., & S. Ryan, Rick and Morty. Burbank, CA: Warner Bros. Television Distribution.
BFITrailers. (2013, May, 13). Aguirre, wrath of god (1972) - trailer
[Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJDuicFyJPg
We watched a video about the behind scenes of Fitzcarraldo, before watching the Quite a few ingenious people employed in the film were killed in accidents during production.
A pulley system was used to get a river boat up a hill, something that Fox preferred to done with special effects, but Herzog refused.
Fandor. (2018, November, 20). Fitzcarraldo: the un-making of a masterpiece
[Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WGiK1Hj8xw
We watched Werner Herzog's film, Fitzcarraldo as a class. I quite like the use of tungsten lighting at the beginning of the film, it brings warmth, nostalgia, and elegance to the film.
Segler, W., Stipetic, L., & Herzog, W. (1982). Fitzcarraldo [Motion picture]. Germany: Werner Herzog Filmproduktion.
17/05/2019
Delaney, D. (2018). A beginner's guide to new german cinema. Retrieved from https://filmschoolrejects.com/beginners-guide-to-new-german-cinema/
Empire. (2016). Movie movements that defined cinema: new german cinema. Retrieved May 17, 2019, from https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/new-german-cinema-movie-era/
Jutton, L. (2018). The beginner’s guide: new german cinema. Retrieved from https://www.filminquiry.com/beginners-guide-new-german-cinema/
The New German Cinema film movement was sparked by the 1962 Oberhausen Manifesto
The aim of manifesto was to reflect New German was to create something new to West German audiences that would educate and unsettle them. The decline of the German film industry following the Second World War allowed the next generation of filmmakers in this country to start over.
New German Cinema introduced filmmakers like Werner Herzog, Wim Wenders, Alexander Kluge, Haro Senft, Edgar Reitz, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Margarethe von Trotta, Helke Sander, Volker Schlöndorff, Helma Sanders-Brahms, Hans-Jürgen Syberberg
Themes used in this film movement were leftist politics, redemption, integrity, society, conformity, and other such contemporary issues.
Films made as part of New German were released between the manifesto in 1962 and the 1980's.
French New Wave Cinema was the driving influence behind New German Cinema.
Quigley, M. T., Cecil, K., Belyeu, F. O., Green, R., Hetzel, J., Lee, K., Bella, J., & Collier, M. (2007-2019). The Big Bang Theory [Television series]. United States: Warner Bros. Television Distribution.
It's going to be hard to say goodbye to this show because it's been a big part of my life watching for the first time as a lonely teenager to a hard-working film student. The season finale was definitely more satisfying and uplifting than the one for Two and a Half Men. I do wonder why Sheldon's mum didn't appear for Sheldon and Amy accepting their Nobel Prize.
My favourite guest stars in this show are at a tie with James Earl Jones, Mark Hamill, and Billy Bob Thornton, but I believe there was potential for much more like Peter Jackson or MCU actors. I do wonder how Sheldon reacted to the news of Stephen Hawking's (guest star) death. Sheldon is and always will be my favourite character and the very essence of The Big Bang Theory.
Its biggest flaw is that it didn't tie up enough loose ends. It didn't even explain when and how the lift was fixed, after being broken for over 15 years. However, it was good to finally see Howard and Bernadette's children onscreen. I do wish Will Wheaton was in the show a bit more in the final season, especially with the Nobel Prize story arc. I never thought I would be so emotional with the season finale. I hope for the very best for the futures of the cast and crew involved in this show's twelve seasons.
I also hope for the very best for the spin-off, Young Sheldon. I believe I have spoken for millions of people around the world who loved this show.







Comments
Post a Comment