Screen Arts - Week 15


20/05/2019

Jan Svankmajer
Music in The Last Trick reminded me of Len Lye animation. It definitely looked more like it used live-action than animation, and was a very strange film to watch, in which I would label it surrealism, but also similar to Tim Burton to a certain degree. This film is apparently Svankmajer's most strangest.

His adaptation of Alice in Wonderland started off like Annabelle meets a creepy Fantastic Mr Fox. It didn't seem as animated as it started off as and becomes live-action. However, it made a good effort in blending live-action and animation together.

Little Otik seemed gorier than the other. The style of animation and creative process applied by Svankmajer looks like he just uses stop-motion animation to animate his own 3D sculptures or inanimate objects.


Terry Gilliam
Time Bandits looked like a movie I would like to watch

I had heard about Brazil before, but the trailer made the film look like it was full of surrealism

The mix of surrealism and humor in the trailer of Baron made me want to watch the film.

I cracked up when watching the clip of the monster in Monty Python and the Holy Grail when it breaks the fourth wall and the animator has a heart attack. Animation and live-action is separated and not blended in this clip.

Terry Gilliam explaining his creative process for Monty Python and the Flying Circus was a video I was familiar with from studying motion design last year. Motion design students in Christchurch last year had to produced animation for the Christchurch City Council in the style of Gilliam's animation style. His style of animation basically involved animating cut-outs.

We watched Monty Python's Best Moments on Netflix as a class. It made me laugh occasionally and also made me realize that the show's animated segments are more surrealistic than I thought.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3