Screenwriting - Week 14
20/05/2019
Patrick has called in sick again, but James from SIT Productions will be kind of relieving for him. We read out each others' film treatments and gave constructive feedback to each other.Oisin's treatment was very long to read, but it did try to be as descriptive as possible in the treatment format and without visuals.
Caleb's treatment had great character-driven story,and the stakes did help develop the story to be engaging. My first impression was that it was going to be an Inception-inspired story, but then develops into a family drama. However, I didn't clearly notice the coma and second family subplots that Caleb mentioned about after we read his treatment as a class.
Luqman's treatment had over-the-top humor that you would likely find in anime ('God damn you!'). The story definitely communicates to me a s a comedy-drama and would well as a satire on film school.
The feedback that I received from the class concerning my treatment was that they found there should be more on Daisy as a character, Darren to be more active in the story when doing stuff since saving a life is the only active thing he does in the story, and there should be clear motivation for Daisy's calls, which is bad and inconvenient timing.
The two important things to have when making a film is to have funding and people to help and invest their time
Questions you should ask yourself when developing your film in pre-production
- Why would someone want to get involved?
- What am I adding to the film world?
- What statement (theme) about life am I making?
Write about what you know e.g. personal experiences.
Films that center on topical issues tends to be likely funded (gender identity, racism, social media, mental health etc).
The film they showed was a psychological drama short film called The Hunted, which addresses domestic violence and violence towards women. The film was great with its strengths in screenwriting, sound, and cinematography. The cinematography supported the look of a familiar, but eerily isolated setting.
I liked how it ended with factual text at the end which ties in with the the film's message about domestic violence and violence towards women, which ends up being a quote from a former secretary general of the United Nations. This is an aspect I may apply if my story for this paper was made into a short film next semester.
They also spoke about possible internship opportunities coming up early next year in Invercargill because they are going to make a movie here then.
I spoke with one of them afterwards and I told them that their film's message about violence against women and domestic violence was an intriguing and different to see in a New Zealand film, and so I told them about my screenwriting project concerning mental health, which caught their interest. The are interested in reading it once the screenplay is done and I would just need to send it to them by emailing Kathryn once done.
21/05/2019
People from Film Otago & Southland came down and showed us a film of theirs and gave us advice on the film industry like how a film production full of yes men working for the studio or the director will result in a mediocre quality film and that you will need to be a good business person to succeed in the industry. When it comes to business, I'm more inexperienced in that are than to say I'm good or bad at being a business person.The film they showed was a psychological drama short film called The Hunted, which addresses domestic violence and violence towards women. The film was great with its strengths in screenwriting, sound, and cinematography. The cinematography supported the look of a familiar, but eerily isolated setting.
I liked how it ended with factual text at the end which ties in with the the film's message about domestic violence and violence towards women, which ends up being a quote from a former secretary general of the United Nations. This is an aspect I may apply if my story for this paper was made into a short film next semester.
They also spoke about possible internship opportunities coming up early next year in Invercargill because they are going to make a movie here then.
I spoke with one of them afterwards and I told them that their film's message about violence against women and domestic violence was an intriguing and different to see in a New Zealand film, and so I told them about my screenwriting project concerning mental health, which caught their interest. The are interested in reading it once the screenplay is done and I would just need to send it to them by emailing Kathryn once done.
Comments
Post a Comment