Screen Arts - Week 17


09/06/2019


Callan, A., Gernert, J., Hacken, C., Hurtwitz, G., Kahn, J., Kimmel, S., Mikutowicz, M., Richman, A., & Trevorrow, C. (2017). The book of henry [Motion picture]. United States: Focus Features.




Critique includes spoilers.

I hadn't been well this week, but while I was resting up, I watched a movie on Netflix called Book of Henry, which I believe is a really sad movie. An underrated tearjerker. It was good seeing Dean Norris (Hank from Breaking Bad) portray an antagonist. 

Jacob Tremblay (Wonder, The Twilight Zone) was great in the film as he is always is in his performances. He is one of my favourite child actors. I found the titular character to be compassionate and relatable. It was also good seeing Jaeden Lieberher (Martell) as the titular character, especially after watching his captivating performance in It (2017 film)

I just love how in the movie, he left $80,000 for his mum and how he tried to make sure his family was going to be financially stable after he has passed away. The part of the movie that made it really sad was also the part of the movie where it goes downhill and lowers its quality in terms of screenwriting. It's really only worth watching the first half of the film, especially since they kill off the titular character half way through.

However, I do disagree with the critical reception of the film having a really bad screenplay, especially what they think on Rotten Tomatoes. While I agree that the second half of the film is not great, but the first half of the film is good and the characters and dialogue are strongly written, full of emotion, and are believable.

Rotten Tomatoes. (n.d.). The book of henry. Retrieved June 9, 2019, from https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_book_of_henry



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3