Screenwriting - Week 15
27/05/2019
Patrick is very unwell, so we had James again as a reliever. We received an email from James a half an hour before class began. The email had nothing, but a Final Draft script file. We were uncertain what we were meant to do since there was no context or instructions, so I reply to James' email asking whether his email means we have class today or not. The reply to the email became redundant once James came into class.James gave us a page of things to keep in mind when writing a screenplay and he talked us through them. Apparently, when you describe a piece of a character's clothing or such implies that you expect there to be a close up of that piece of clothing or object. With these screenwriting tips, we were to read through the script he emailed to us and modify the script by applying these rules.
I tried to copy over the text from Final Draft to a Google Docs document, but the screenplay formatter tool wouldn't work properly, so I just made do with Final Draft. Despite never using Final Draft before, it didn't really matter.
Original script
Modified script
I omitted a lot of stuff in this script like mentioning he is a cop in plain clothes because there is nothing to show that he is a cop in the first place. I also got rid of the camera shots and movement, the use of 'we see' or 'we hear', the old man's name in the action, the character's background that isn't shown visually and pretty much everything in the script that you can't see visually. This script exercise only took me at least 10 minutes to do.


Comments
Post a Comment