Screenwriting - Week 17
10/06/2019
I managed to get a good start on my script, but I got to a writing block after pushing myself to fill the first page (essentially the opening scene) in order to make progress. I went away from writing this for a while since I had a writing block.I have been allowed an extension for the completion of my screenplay after having a discussion with James about myself being unwell for a few days recently and he has manged to get the extension form to Kathryn for approval.
We as class read each other's scripts in our heads. I read Oisin's script for HUMIT, which I found to be generic from reading it and the script tells more about the tone than the story, well at least in the beginning anyway. I didn't find it fully engaging until we got to a part where it had dialogue directing the story. Some of it was hard to read with having long paragraphs. I was capable of finding the inciting incident (one of two) and how the protagonist reacts to it, obstacles, and who is the main protagonist.
Oisin explained to me about HUMIT that in fact, the story is set in a cyberpunk future where the technology we have now has evolved to its full potential. It was something that I didn't pick up from reading his script. It would explain why a 2016 Mitsubishi is described as being 'rickety'.
Oisin had read my work of progress with the script for State of Mind and commented that it would be good if the time on the clock and on the appointment card would be good to show whether the protagonist is annoyed because he late or early. It was a point that I subconsciously thought was self-explanatory, but apparently not. As a result of this feedback from Oisin, I added 10:00 am to the appointment and made it so that the clock was point at five past ten. This effectively gives more clarity to the reader of my script.
From talking with James and Oisin, it has made realise the context of my story. The main protagonist in my story really must fulfill expectations that we must go out in the world and work, especially in a world where unemployment is believed to be higher than what society would be comfortable with.
Comments
Post a Comment