Digital Filmmaking - Week 1
08/07/2019
We as a class, read out the course outline to get a full understanding of what we are meant to do, but we waited for the new international students from Germany before we did so. I did get in a circle and introduced ourselves to these new students.Patrick informed us that if we want to go into professional film or video editing in the future, we will need to learn how to use Avid Media Encoder, which I believe are available in the editing suites on campus. With this in mind, I will try to start learning Avid at some point for editing later this semester, especially when it comes to my projects like for this paper, the VFX paper, or the Screen Arts paper.
He also informed us that we are restricted to three days of filming for this paper (four days of filming in some cases). It is a fair amount for days of filming and I wish we had that rule in the cinematography paper last semester, but I don't think it is enough time to film the short film that I had written last semester for the screenwriting paper and I don't how I could shorten my screenplay without messing up the structure and removing crucial parts.
Perhaps when I get my marks and feedback on my screenwriting back from Patrick, it could be a more viable option than it is currently.
I will need to think about what I could do instead. Patrick has mentioned that we individually could do a promotional video or a documentary, but I don't know who or what for, and what subject it could be on. I do like doing factual content with film and video and it could be more likely to get filmed in the limited amount of filming dates. I may have to speak with Patrick about this.
In the afternoon, we had a discussion with a couple of people from a media production company based in Taiwan that focuses on adventure tourism. They told us about the complications of transporting filming equipment when flying over to a different country and the tiring timeframe and risks they have each day they are filming out in the world, whether it is working at least 16 hours a day, filming a drone on a limited battery in the New Zealand bush or mountains, or getting constantly stung by bees in order to get the perfect shot when filming beekeeping activities outside of Ashburton.
One of the people that came to speak to us this afternoon was a former SIT film graduate. It was a talk that was interesting to hear and I made sure that I liked their company's social media pages.
Comments
Post a Comment