Visual Effects Compositing - Week 1



11/07/2019

It's critical that we do research outside of class.

I am a bit familiar with doing 2D animation and motion graphics on After Effects, but I can't say I'm an expert and I haven't done animation with After Effects in three years. I may look back at my old visual diaries. Although my experience with animation is quite simplistic and choppy.
We will be taught Nuke, which is high-end composition software.

In your blog, include what you are doing, your responsibilities, and what others are doing (if doing the project as a group)

We are welcome to show a tutorial to the class that we have found.

It's my understanding at this stage that visual effect composition is combing different media together like combing CGI and film / photography together.

Combining a live action person and 2D animation is acceptable, but you need to make it believable and apply green screen.

Research VFX storyboarding

Cerebellum was reminiscent of Requiem for a Dream

It was reminiscent of David Bowie LSD trip

The Countdown does a Hunger Games Catching Fire type of changing of aspect ratio at the start, but does cuts to different aspect ratios on occasion. Shouldn't that glow be behind those buildings?Most of the lightsaber's motion was laggy. Overall, it's so bad it's good.

In Vegalien, there are good sound effects. This film that could had potentially been entered into the Outlook for Someday because of its environment subject. The character design is cute. However, the saucer at the beginning didn't blend into the lighting realistically or believable enough, so it stands out too much in the shot.

In Meleya, the character design looks like it was rendered in Source Filmmaker. It combines 3D animation and live action. Nice picturesque location for the finale, which is in fact, Lake Wanaka.

In Tag a Hero, it was good and the anime-inspired animation was the highlight of the film, but the bullies' dialogue wasn't believable enough and cliched. 

I did talk with Bethany about collaborating together for the VFX project, but in the end, we decided it was best for us to do the project individually. For an individual VFX project, I decided to connect it to the story of the short film that I will be making for my Screen Arts paper. What happens in the VFX short film will be the subject of the discussion in my Screen Arts short film. 

Perhaps I could combine both films into one when it comes to the Flicks part of Think and Create. But just to be clear, the films combined won't be submitted to the papers, they will be submitted individually for their own papers.



17/07/2019


Wonderlast Films. (2019, March 23). Ironman transformation tutorial

 [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzZb0ta5Lyc

This is something I looked at, but it looked really complicated and I didn't feel confident in repliacting that type of 3D VFX.





Ignace Aleya. (2019, April 6). The floor is lava challenge in after effects vfx tutorial

 [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1LoLXvdESY

The lava street looked interesting and something I could potentially do on After Effects, but problem would be producing my own dirt image to use.







What type of VFX I would want to do for this project is something that I could do on After Effects and something really awesome. I will have to follow tutorials that I am confident wityh using and if they are successful, I will use it for my VFX project and make it the basis of the short film.




VFX Master. (2016, November 3). Adobe after effects beginner tutorials - doctor strange film portal effect [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ownscAk5Kos

This is something that I believe I can achieve on After Effects and so it's a tutorial I'm going to try out.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3