Audio Techniques - Week 5
06/08/2019
This morning, I worked with Bo on filming interviews for the local elections Q&A event for next week. I helped with operating the shotgun mic and it was connected with XLR to the X200. Having the headphones on when being soundie (especially when using thew shotgun mic) can be like being inside Premiere Pro after a while.I tried to work on the soundscape assessment, but I'm at a lost on how to bring it forward to 30 seconds or a minute with the sounds provided. I tried to look for sounds online on sites I would often use to find sound effects, but they wouldn't preview them on the computer.
I tried to bring the audio story forward by adding loud winds or wet tyres on road, but it didn't have purpose or function and it's something would make more sense being with the other sounds earlier in the soundscape, but even it would just take the soundscape to being a sensory overload.
I ended up experimenting adding a stormy winds and even adding lighting storm on top of that, and then got it to fade out back to the normal rain. I also had the stormy wind to have a slow, natural fade in. I did all these fade ins and outs by adjusting the volume with a pencil tool.
This was a much more aggravating session on sound mixing, so it took me a while to get to this point. At the beginning, I was annoyed because I thought I had lost my ProTool sessions for the soundscape and such from a couple of weeks and I couldn't find it on my hard drive.
In the end, I found the files on the D drive of another computer in the room, so I got those files copied over to my hard drive.
I went back to experimenting with the AudioSuite, but I didn't really understand how to apply it to the soundscape.
09/08/2019
In a class with Rob Sarkies, we were encourage to use the five sense challenge as a way to visually express characters and setting.
Sound
- Rain on tin roof - cozy, comfortable
- Baby crying - uncomfortable
The sound of violent waves were in the opening titles of Out of the Blue to provoke unease in the audiences and foreshadows violence that is to come later in this film. It then shows beautiful scenery to calm the audience.
Another thing in Out of the Blue - David tuning through radio stations as to represent a person between two worlds. Rob liked this sound from his past and is a sound that he personally associated as being between two worlds.
Sounds that I personally associated with things or ideas
- Tapping against a surface like glass or a indoor wall - boredom (others associate it with being annoying)
- Fire alarm going off - distress
- Winds at night - insomnia
- Radio - insomnia (different from Rob)
Comments
Post a Comment