Audio Techniques - Week 7
20/08/2019
We went to SIT Sound. Being sill relatively new to SIT, it was my first time being there. I was quite impressed. We learnt that CUE is where headphones are plugged in, in there.The mixing boards act as an physical one of that you would use in Avid ProTools. For future use, we are to be careful with the speakers because of the power voltage and to always have the dust cover on the mixing board when not using.
There is a technician hanging out there during the weekday opening hours if we need troubleshooting help. So it's probably best you use their facilities during those hours or if you are using it outside those hours, to be sure you are someone who 100% knows what they're doing.
They had a room to record Foley sounds. In there was drawers of different types of materials like metal, odds and ends, and gravel. You put the gravel drawer on this spot in the room where you can have someone walking on it for a recording session. We were given a demonstration of putting together a microphone, which is no different than a C-stand.
Things we need to have for using SIT Sound
Book a time slot there
Card access
Username and password
2.5mm jack
Avid ProTools
Go into hardware and change the audio input in order to record sound right onto a track on ProTools
Tick off automatic in Operation part of the reference window.
Phantom is another word for power.
We were to find music that suits the SCORPION short film. I looked into incompetech and found three music clips that could potentially suit the short film. I placed these music clips and playing them individual with the film and dialogue playing, but muting out the other layers that are not necessary to be included. I felt very confident with the first all the way through, but the others was more gradual. Going from not confident that the music suits at the start to being confident at the end.
Overall, they are all worked, but I just went with the first one because I was confident with that all the way through. I tuned down the volume of the music layer, so that it's not loud to an annoying extent.
James was happy with it, especially with the choice of music. He suggested if I wanted to, was to put different music in the credits or play with the dynamics.
24/08/2019
I like to listen film scores and soundtracks since I was 12 after watching Star Wars. John Williams was my gateway to listening to film scores and I listen to quite a bit on Spotify. There are even songs from movies I listen to. I think there might be clipping in one layer.
Star Wars (1977) by John Williams
Kain VS Predator. (2017, December 17). Star wars a new hope full soundtrack [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDMPTZ7y1lE
This is an epic and great instrumental, orchestral soundtrack that makes a big effect on the film and makes me think immediately to its film it was made for. Without this music, Star Wars isn't effective or cinematic as it is with John William's musical score.



Comments
Post a Comment