Visual Effects Compositing - Week 7



22/08/2019


We as class did a tutorial on 2D and 3D images and lighting on After Effects. It was quite tricky for me to get the duplicate 2D-3D walls to look like an alleyway. But with applying the light, I just had fun with animating the light layer bouncing off the disjointed walls.




Chris McDonald did come in to give us a tutorial on the CHEQROOM app for when we need to hire out film gear. He did give us a demonstration on the Blackmagic cameras, which I was very familiar with and had experience for the cinematography paper last semester. After a while, I went away from that demonstration because I knew exactly what to do when using that type of film equipment. 
The demonstration was really for the animation students.

I tried looking for Ash concerning filming in the alleyway between the CUE building and the courthouse as shown in my proposal, but I had no luck finding him today to discuss it with him.

I had a talk with Jacqui and she suggested to track down the voice artist (to voice the 'Voice Beyond the Portal' in my VFX short film) that they had the third year group project infomercials, in which Rachel Mann had the contact details for him and the others who had auditioned for the short film. Jacqui also believed that Patrick may know something about it, but when I approached him about it, he suggested to email Rachel about it.

It was also brought to my attention that I likely had access to the audition videos of the casting for the third year group project.




25/08/2019


First choices for crew
DOP - Josh
1st AC - Tyler Baikie
2nd AC - David
Gaffer - Ash Bartlett
Best Boy - Oisin O'Connell
Sound Mixer - Luqman
Sound Operator - Constantine
Script Supervisor - Vikka
BTS - Bo

First choices for cast
Alex - Oisin O'Connell
Voice - Kres



26/08/2019


I had a chat with Ash about filming in the basement over the weekend to see how I would get access then and he suggested to email Kathryn. I emailed Kathryn, but she needed more information. I also talked to Ash about getting filming consent in the alleyway between the courthouse and the CUE building, and he said that he is the one to talk to and the location will be identified as 'outside the CUE building.

I do have concerns about filming in the basement now because of the music students tend to practice next door, which could be a problem for sound in making this short film.

I did aim for filming some test videos in the basement with LED lighting and a Blackmagic, but I would need someone to help me. I asked Oisin, but he would be busy this weekend.



27/08/2019


I asked Luqman and he is free to do so. However, I went into the CHEQROOM app and couldn't neither the Blackmagic, gels kit, Mini Flo, Kino Flo, or the Aladdin (any of the LED lighting). Only the X200 is available. I may need to talk to Chris tomorrow about it.



28/08/2019


I tried to log in CHEQROOM on a desktop computer, but it wouldn't let me log in like the app allows me.

I could borrow out from Chris the HMI lights like a Blonde, Redhead, or Lowel, but I don't know if its too powerful for the power outlets in the basements or if it's the right lights to use in this situation. I may need to look at other times to do VFX tests.

It turns out the equipment needed could be out for the next few weeks because of the third year solo projects.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3