Audio Techniques - Week 8



27/08/2019


We were to go to SIT Sound as a class to record our ADR for the first assessment, but then James decided to split us up. One half of the class stays in class and the other goers off with James to do ADR at SIT Sound. I'm part of the half that stayed.

Oisin informed me about the high quality sound files in the 1,001 folder on the Y (Resources) drive and I came across sounds of cans crinkling and dropping, which I thought would work well with the stormy part of my soundscape and it did. It was a bit of an improvement compared to how the soundscape was before today and applying the can sounds.

However, the original files didn't have the same bit rate or something like that for the ProTools session. So it took some playing around with that and eventually I figured out by converting the files before adding them when importing the sound files.








Batman (1989) by Danny Elfman

Jediking12. (2011, September 14). Batman soundtrack - 01. the batman theme [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcCYhDu4_ZY&list=PLPSyQctAlgzUJGe-OFjy45zAsqvdSPCrn&index=1




I'm more interested in the instrumental parts of this soundtrack than any of Prince's songs here. It has a distinctive range in having different tones for scenes whether it is quirky and sounds fun, action-packed, or serious. Some of the Joker's music immediately makes you think of Circus music.

Like with films that include a score by John Williams. Danny Elfman's score is very much part of the film to a point where you lose the film's style and context without his musical score.


ADR recording
There was absolute fun in doing ADR and tends to work better and less complex than in my head. Before we set up ProTools on the mixing board through a Mac, we open up Dadman program and when we close it, to be sure not to save and overwrite the file.

I volunteered to voice PJ's character, whereas Phoenix voiced someone else and Luqman voiced me. We had multiple takes in each part that we dubbed over and played them all back. It was funny and interesting to hear them played back.

When recording ADR on Pro Tools, you select the part you want to record over and only Solo the sound track you want the voice actor to hear, as well as make sure that the selection is long enough for the voice actor to get into character and be ready.

However, if I ever needed ADR recording done for my projects, I wouldn't trust me myself to go alone and do it. I would ideally like to have another student with me who would know and would be confident in what they are doing at SIT Sound





31/08/2019


My goal today is to apply the ADR from the other day into my ProTools sessions, plus any other aspect that I may have missed out. With those things out of the way, would have completed the assessment, which is due at the end of the next class. James told me a couple weeks ago not to worry about exporting yet since we are going to do that as a class, which is good because I don't how for certain to export from ProTools.


I placed all the ADR dialogue into ProTools and played them back as I went along. I replaced PJ with my ADR dialogue and Me with Luqman's dialogue. From there, I was able to easily sync them all up. I removed the ADR dialogue that I didn't end up using in the ProTools session.

I double checked the course descriptor and found that I still needed a music track that was inappropriate for the short film and so I chose music from online (Kevin McLeod, incompetech.com) that would suit a silly, silent film comedy, rather than music that would suit a serious, edgy thriller.

I downloaded some fabric sliding across for the bag being picked up and slided across from freesound.org because it was the only sound effect that I could think to replace in this sequence. It came out okay in the sound mix.

I had the silly music trimmed down and faded out at the end of the credits and did the same for the serious music and ATMOS sound just before the credits. The silly music makes volume complications for the Jackal's audio, it's too low for this music, but if I turned it up to keep it consistent, it would be too loud for the serious music.

I playbacked the sound mix a few times to make sure everything was in order with the sound elements that I wanted and was required to have in the sound mix.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3