Digital Filmmaking - Week 10



14/09/2019

I forgot to mention that on Wednesday, I had a chat with Gail Tatham. I told her of my experiences studying down at SIT and she was quite impressed. I told her about Rob Sarkies visiting us and talking to the classes for a week, which reminded her that she was one of his lecturers at the University of Otago. 

Gail Tatham was my lecturer at the Ara's Timaru campus, she has since retired. She is also a former theater and drama lecturer, but still active in the performing arts community in Timaru.


I went through the bus routes on the ICC buses website to see buses I would have to take to do more field work on location scouting or to approach the owners about filming for the dairy exterior. It took some doing trying to figuring where the locations in these bus routes by referring back to Google Maps.

154 Centre Street- Heidelberg bus
249 Crinan st - Kew Connection
70 Brown Street - Kew Connection
71 Salford Street - Waikiwi Link
124 Herbert Street - Waikiwi Link








15/09/2019


I worked on forming a call sheet / shooting schedule for the filming of the BSA206 project. It's not part of this paper, but it shows my practice in putting together a call sheet / shooting schedule. I tried to work the template word document, but it wasn't cooperating with me, so I just created my own on InDesign, based on the template. It was good figuring this out now and not later in the week before the shoot.

It's still a work in progress and will be completed later in the week and ready to be sent out to the cast and crew involved with my screen arts shoot













132 to 142 Leet Street
I took a walk down Leet Street because I think it could be a better option than filming the street part of the scene where someone falls on pavement and nearly gets run over by a car. Despite being a wide road (which makes it looks like a busy street. However, a lot of streets in Invercargill are wide, so looks can be deceiving), it can quite isolated of traffic and looks more ideal, plus I wouldn't have a problem with the local buses since they don't go down this street. I estimated that scene would require filming on the footpath outside between 132 and 142 Leet Street.

In a nut shell, I'm going this location for that scene instead of Yarrow Street.





Private road at SIT main campus
I took a look at the private road, which is a driveway to the student and staff car parking space on the campus. This was a suggestion from Patrick to look at as a location for the scene where someone falls on the pavement and where someone runs across a road (green screen would be a better for that).
It even includes a gutter, which I could potentially work with to my advantage.

The trick is going to be how to put it off. The main method of doing this is to rotoscope out the background and replace it with the street that most of the scene will be filmed at. However, even then I will need consistency since both locations may not have the same level of shadow, sunlight on cloud lit on the actors.





SIT Library
This was my first choice to film the brief cutaway where the protagonist spends time studying at the polytech library, but this spot could be a nuisance to the library since it's close to the entrance.




Testing potential camera framing for filming the scene at this spot



I believe this spot has potential, but it's a quiet study spot, which could also be a nuisance to when we're filming in the library on an ordinary day (Keep in mind, I'm aiming to film this scene on a weekend day). The blinds at the window of this spot will help not reflect the production crew on itself. 

In any case, in any of these spots, I will likely be nuisance no matter what. It depends on what Facilities will allow us when filming in the library.








More equipment reservations
I have realised that I haven't book the equipment needed for filming on the 12th of October, so I copied the reservation for the first two days of shooting and got them reserved for the final day of filming.


These items were reserved that I forgot to include for both two weekends of shooting (October, 4, 6, 12).



Kiarne
I had a chat with him today and he is open to being my DOP for this short film. I informed him that we will be using Blackmagic cameras and that all the equipment is all reserved for the shoot. He has asked for a copy of the script, which I will provide him with.

16/09/2019

Konstantine
He did receive my email, but forgot to reply to it. He will be available for the shooting days except for the 12th of October. I will have onboard at this stage as a Best Boy.

Vajka
She has also received my email, but forgot to reply to it. I assured here she can take her time and get back to me when she can. I intend to have her onboard as a script supervisor.


Amount of shooting each day
With the final draft being 11 pages long, I will shoot...
4th October - 4 pages of the script
6th October - 4 pages of the script
12th October - 3 pages of the script


Zara
I caught up with her about helping about with my filming, but was still undecided. She will get back to me once the shooting days for her music video is sorted.

David
I caught up with him and hadn't checked his email, but he will now knowing I sent him an email about helping me out on my filming. We'll see if he comes onboard.

Oisin
He will available to help on shooting my short film on the 6th and 12th of October, but not the 4th of October.

Luqman
He will be available for all of the three days of shooting my short film, on the condition that I help with his short film shoot, which is only fair we have our short films schedule to be shot back-to-back over two weekends.

Chat with Patrick
I gave him a bit of an update and he suggested an idea for shooting the pavement scene on a private road at SIT's main campus by doing close shots of the action like an action sequence and can be pulled out by extensively storyboarding it. I also emailed a final draft script to him.

He read my final draft and he still reckoned the ending could be shorter (a maximum of two scenes can be cut out of the script) and that there was no logic on why the character, Daisy comes down to see the protagonist, Darren. I tried to explain to him the logic.

Chat with Chris
Chris informed that I will permission from Ash to have equipment out longer than one week. I didn't know this was a rule since it wasn't last semester, but that was because Chris was being lenient. This is awkward because I made one of my reservation for two weeks because it was equipment that needed for two weekends, not knowing about the one week issue rule.

I forgot to mention to him about the Canon lenses that I can use for shooting on the Blackmagic for filming my projects, while not being an inconvenience to the photography students.


Scenechronize
I spent time organising scenes and equipment needed for scenes for my short film. It was somewhat tedious to go through after a while. I still have a lot to do on this.




Fisher, L., Knapman, C., Martin, C., Monsted, A., Wick, D., & Luhrmann, B. (2013). The great gatsby [Motion picture]. United States: Warner Bros. Pictures.



The writing and production design is solid, but is too VFX heavy than is necessary or it's needed to be. DiCaprio's performance as the titular character was good at depicting him as delusional, whereas Tobey Maguire's performance was hard to read; he was neither playing himself, his character, or his famous role as Spiderman. The way contemporary music is used (which tends to be out of place, considering the film being set in the Roaring Twenties) in party scenes is reminiscent to how contemporary music is used in Sofia Coppola's period drama, Marie Antoinette


The amount of VFX in this film can sometimes distract you from the story and lowers the quality of the overall film.



17/09/2019


David
I came across David and he said he will get to me when he can. He needs time to think about it since he has a lot of other filming to help out with or his own to do.
Kres
He would be available and help, on the condition that I am to help him film for his project on the same day for an hour. He reckons that me helping him wouldn't take long because he believes less is involved with a first year film project. I will help him, but it's not as simple as that and I will not help in that way.

I intend to him to be an extra best boy and act in my short film as the man in the office

Janette
She message me asking for my shooting dates and will only be available for the 4th of October. I could have her act in my film and shoot the stunt scene on the street on that day to suit her.

International students
I had a chat with a group of international students to see who will be wiling and available to help on set for my short film. Jasper, Flip, and Nils volunteered. Jasper will be my AC, Filip will be my 2nd AD, and Nils will be my boom operator. I have given them my email address, in order for them to contact me when they need to. We thought it was easier that way than me trying to get all their email addresses.
Ash




Kiarne
He message to say that he has pulled out of helping for this short film, leaving em without a DOP. But then I thought I could live without a DOP for this short film and I could be my own DOP because I'm quite familiar with the Blackmagic cameras and I will have an AC to help him.


Suzuki, T., & Miyazaki, H. (1997). Princess mononoke [Motion picture]. Japan: Studio Ghibli.



Themes - Man vs nature, climate change


It's a superb, perfect film and one of the best stories put onto film that I have seen as well as one of the best anime film of all time. The writing is perfect, but the English dubbing is less than perfect. Being that kind of guy who likes neat and long endings, I was disappointed we don't see the protagonist return to Irontown and confront the leader, or the leader overthrown in favour of the protagonist.

I had the same kind of feelings watching Lord of the Rings: Return of the KingThe Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2, and the final episode of Game of Thrones.


I find the protagonist to be a guiding moral force between the conflict of the forest and Irontown. He is a honorable, selfless, compassionate individual in the same sense of those words to describe The Doctor in Doctor Who.





18/09/2019



Oisin suggested doing the call sheets because that is a part of his role as assistant director. It would lessen the workload for me, but I need times soon than he could potentially provide me because I need to them when emailing the Invercargill City Council, SIT Facilities, and other filming locations


I came across Chloe Tapp, who is on my list of actors to contact for the role of the young woman that the protagonist saves in my short film. She just came back to course and is a third year animation student, but she is keen. I emailed her the information and hoepfully I hear from her very soon.

I sent the revised script for my short film to Patrick. He got back to me and suggested to make my ending even shorter, but I'm leaving it at that because if I did that, it would just leave one scene for the ending.

19/09/2019


Canon lenses for the shoot
I spoke to Chris today about using Canon lenses to check if he was okay with that for my filming since he had a talk with to us in VFX class and told us to fair to the first year animation student doing the stop motion paper. He was fine with me using the lenses that I needed for the Digital Filmmaking and VFX shoots.



Yet another mood board
I was exploring images on the internet and found more images that reflected the mood that I am aiming for my short film

https://www.deviantart.com/njclaws/art/Anxiety-632520138


https://www.deviantart.com/david681/art/Day-by-Day-434275361


https://www.deviantart.com/laitma/art/Inktober-2017-Day-29-712831014


https://www.deviantart.com/laitma/art/Inktober-2017-Day-30-712840952


https://www.deviantart.com/david681/art/Night-Walk-685612820





Post apocalyptic story idea
This is a mood board for a story idea that I was conceiving today set in a post apocalyptic world





20/09/2019


Nils Wolters (boom operator for my short film) emailed me to inform me that he will now be only available for the shoot on the 4th and 6th of October, not the 12th of October. I will need to find someone else to fill that production role on that day.


Josh Clive
Ash told me it would be worth contacting Josh Clive to see if he would be keen to help with filming my short film. I know Josh from filming the basketball at the stadium. I will keep him in mind.


No.5 actor - I couldn't read his handwriting where he wrote his name
I tried to contact him to act in this short film (in the role of Darren) and my short film for the VFX paper. His phone instantly went to voicemail, so it may indicate that either he has a different number or his phone is turned off. However, I will still email him just in case he doesn't receive the message I left him on his phone, but if he doesn't answer by Monday, I will email Kathryn to send out a casting call in SIT's global distribution server.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3