Audio Techniques - Week 12
01/10/2019
Juliet had made an amazing effort in our group on noting the timecode for every Foley sound in the segment of Princess Mononoke we are doing for the sound design assessment
We went over to SIT Sound for a refresher on how to use the audio suites over there.
Important controls on Pro Tools
To import a video; File > import video
You hold and click Cltrl + Shift + N for new track.
Examples of tracks that are needed for our ProTools session; Ashitaka dialogue, steps, wood breaking, wood falling, knife flick, explosion
For creating the master track, you simply create a new track, but have stereo selected instead of mono.
Same for headphones track, but with stereo and aux selected.
When you recording sound on the Foley stage, you plug in the XLR cable from the mic and into the S1 outlet. Remember not to force it
Cue (outlet) is for headphones
Don't power things that are battery powered
We went back to class after having technical issues with the mixing board at SIT Sound. My group (myself, Juliet, Luqman) came together to brainstorm ways to create the Foley and SFX sounds that are required. We decided on me being the voice of Ashitaka. We also created our session with all the tracks needed, so that was out of the way and prepared in advance.
02/10/2019
Last night, I incidentally discovered a sound that sounded like a whoosh of Mononoke's knife that is needed for our assessment. I discovered it by doing a swift scratch on one of my pillows. I will try to book out a Zoom to record the sound tomorrow.
I managed to only book out a Zoom H4N because the others weren't available, but I have to return it to Chris on Monday. However, he may let me have an extension if there aren't any film or animation students that urgently need a Zoom for their projects.
In the early evening, I recorded three takes of the sound of doing a scratch on one of my pillows at home (sword swoosh). The first take was good, but you could hear noise from outside. The windows were open during the first take, so I closed them to see if I still get the outside noise in my second take, but I still did.
For the third take, I went into a cramped space that is my bathroom and closed the door. You couldn't really hear noises from outside, but it was awkward to do and because of that, it's not a good take
I tried to copy it over to my hard drive, so Luqman or someone in my group can listen to my sound recordings if they had time tomorrow, but my hard drive wasn't loading onto my laptop for some weird reason and so I had to copy it onto my laptop.
03/10/2019
I informed Luqman about recording sessions that I did last evening and he was keen to listen to them, but I didn't have the sound files on me at campus. He will listen to them on Monday and by then, I should have the sound files copied to my hard drive.
05/10/2019
I successfully copied over the sound files to my hard drive on campus
Comments
Post a Comment