BVA603 - Week 14



15/10/2019


I read Benn Jae's bio and it was a very interesting read with information about that I didn't know before. I skimmed through last week's minutes, I tried to read it properly, but I had problem processing it all in my mind, but I can at least say at the committee meeting that I have read it and had found no fault in the writing.

I had been impressed with how the Facebook post about one of my entries for Think & Create have been seen by 250 people.

In the committee meeting, we were encouraged to read last week's minutes and copies were printed out to all of us. I had another read through the minutes and still nothing out of the ordinary. I brought up about how Tim Shadbolt has once again won the local election as Mayor of Invercargill, which is good because it will be less confusion than before because we now know he is still mayor and can invite to the event as our local mayor. 

The point about VIPS like Tim Shadbolt were brought up in the General Business portion of the meeting. I spoke to Britney over Discord because I had been out of the loop with her in the past week. I asked Britney if any emails were sent out to the VIPS yet and there were none because she was waiting for the sponsors to be confirmed for Think & Create. 

There was discussion between herself and Jacqui about having an RSVP. Britney also had an idea about the absent VIPS to contribute to the event by being a sponsor. I thought it was actually an interesting idea. Me and Jacqui seconded that motion.

I was surprised to hear that Kathryn will be in Germany at the time of Think & Create.


Idea for next year's research
A documentary about climate change is affecting Invercargill and Southland. I will be talking to local politicians (Sarah Dowie, Liz Craig, Mark Patterson, Tim Shadbolt, Environment Southland, DOC, Ministry for the Environment), environmentalists (NZ Landcare Trust, South Coast Environment Society), young people etc. It will as well document the climate strikes organised by young people. The documentary will be on the lines of Michael Moore (Roger & Me) and Merata Mita films (Bastion Point Day 507, Patu).
Stuff will be filmed throughout the year to present at the various exhibitions that is required for me to do as part of my final year of study.

The challenge will be form the concept into an informative and engaging narrative like Patrick explained to us in the digital filmmaking paper.

The research portion will be on how aspect ratios like letterbox can make a documentary more cinematic.

I spoke to Bex about my idea and gave constructive feedback on how to approach like that if I'm using aspect ratio to make it more cinematic, then it will depend on its presentation at a venue (e.g. projected on a screen at Upstage or on a TV at RAW Gallery). There are many way to approach this and prioritise aspects like do you want to experiment with Michael Moore or Merata Mita style of documentary filmmaking. I need to try and make the topic or influences a bigger part of the technical process in the research.





Artist statements
I was surprised to discover this morning that we all have to do an artist statements including film students like myself. It's to give the MC and audiences context on my entries. I went ahead and managed to write up artist statements for each of my entries and wrote up about the conception, ideas, and influences behind the projects in the artist statements.
We had to use a Think & Create template on Photoshop for putting together the artist statements.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3