Digital Filmmaking - Week 12



30/09/2019


We were introduced to how brightness in lighting have different levels or sets of zone, from pitch black and to very bright white. Patrick explained to us the parts of a lighting meter. As a class, we did a lighting tutorial with a Canon C100 camera that Caleb provided. In the lighting tutorial, we lit the room in accordance with the zones of lighting. I stood as a background subject at one point.

After the footage was ingested, we did some brief colour grading tutorials on Premiere and Resolve, but I had trouble keeping up because I was getting different results on my PC.

Me and Patrick had a discussion about issues around my short film like difficulties with scheduling the shoot, unable to cast all the role before this weekend, and more and more pulling out of helping me on-set. Patrick's advice was that I change the ending by making the emotional climax the end and omitting the scene that involves stunts since it would be too time-consuming on my part to accomplish.

I was very conflicted on changing my film shoot from this weekend to two weeks later because of the thin amount of time to do post-production and people who would be involved for this weekend, may not be also available for the new dates for my film shoot. I felt depressed and anxious for a while. However, after having a rest at home, weighing up the pros and cons, and getting a second opinion from Tyler Baikie, I have decided that changing to the filming dates to October 18-20 will be the best way froward for my me completing this project and paper. 

I also came to the realisation that if I went ahead with filming this weekend, I would only have Thursday afternoon to organise everything (cast all the roles, get in contact and approval from the location providers, produce shooting schedules, shot lists, and storyboards) which didn't seem feasible and would be only be the day before the film shoot began.

The actors that were unavailable for this weekend might be available to act in the new dates for filming my short film.

Tyler Baikie was keen to be my AD for the 18th and 19th of October, but I will likely have him as my gaffer at this stage. I tried to contact Jacqui Bree, but she didn't have her phone on.



01/10/2019


I have talked to Jacqui and she wouldn't be available for 19th, but available for only either the 20th or 21st, the choice is mine. I would like to have her on the 20th as an AD.

Janette was desperate to help me out and so she will on the 19th. She will be likely be AD for that day at this stage.

I have spoken to the international students about the new filming, but they will be unavailable because they have their shoots to worry about, which is understandable.

I have spoken to Ash and he informed that he would have a couple of third year film students on that weekend filming a biking event. Hopefully, Kiarne isn't one of them because I would love to have him as my DOP again after working together on my VFX shoot.

I informed Kres about the new filming dates and he seemed fine about it

I have heard back from Sophie, she emailed me about shooting this weekend. She loved the script and was very keen to be involved. I replied back to her email to tell her about the new filming dates and to see if she would be still available. 

Sophie got back to me again and told me she would be unavailable that weekend because of a stage play she is involved with. I replied to that email and told her it okay, but asked if she could refer to any local actors that could be keen and available for the shoot.

02/10/2019


I still haven't heard back from Sophie concerning any local actors she knows.

Someone I know gave me someone to contact who may know local actors that might be keen available to act in my short film. It's the creative projects manager at Great South and she organises local drama events like Shakespeare in the Park.

My meeting with Patrick has been moved for another hour, but I'm fine with that.

I have been in contact with Kiarne today, but he will be unavailable for my shoot because of his busy schedule over the next few weeks.

I have spoken to Konstantin about being on my film crew. He is keen, but uncertain about his availability since he will be filming his documentary the weekend before my shoot. 
He can't guarantee that everything will go smoothly or that his filming will be postponed to the following weekend after that, as a result. I intend to have Konstantin on my film crew as an AC.

Patrick read my new ending and thought it could be better and suggested that it be Darren actually getting rid of the jacket himself. He also suggested having the dialogue in the scene with Darren and Daisy folding washing embedded into the dialogue scene before, but I'm not going to do that because that scene is long enough as is.

The new ending with Darren getting rid of the jacket himself is a way for the protagonist to be proactive about it and to connect the jacket as a physical representation of his poor mental wellbeing.

Furthermore, the dairy worker being judgmental about Darren's jacket is meant to symbolise the older generation that is apathetic or conservative about mental health issues or awareness.

I informed Patrick about Sophie now being out of the picture as one of my actors, leaving me at square one. He suggested a couple of actors here and there, but we'll see how things go.




03/10/2019


I was going to contact Jeromy, as well as other actors and contacts, but failed to musher enough courage or confident to contact them. It can be a hard thing for me sometimes. I was going to contact Jeromy by phone because he hasn't respond to my Facebook message about his availability on the dates of my BSA231 shoot.

I have spoken to Zara in person about her availability during the weekend of my shoot, but is uncertain at this stage. She's willing to participate for at least one day. One day of shooting all her scenes would be pushing it too far. Zara will get back to me as soon as possible. I intend for Zara to act as Daisy in my short film.

I aimed to do the new ending this afternoon, but I had a mind block and so I continued editing my BSA227 VFX short film instead.

I eventually wrote it up when I was creative again, which was later that night. I wrote a short ending where Darren is a conflicted towards the jacket as he tries to go over to the skip and get rid of the jacket. I had him let go of the jacket into the bin with a firm as a subtle sign of the start of getting himself better mental well-being





I will proof read the modified final draft with a clearer mind and eyes tomorrow before emailing a copy to Patrick and Tyler.




04/10/2019

I saw on What's On Invers (Facebook) this morning that Cambridge Place is now closed to the public for preparations for the demolition, which will make way for the CBD redevelopment. I may likely will have to move the filming location for a scene in my short film from there to the SIT Arcade.



I took a look around the skip area of the SIT Apartments (where I aim to film the ending) and realises that some shots I had in my mind while writing the scene may not be possible. It would interested to see how it could look as a wide shot with the camera positioned on the street, with a 50-100 mm lens attached. It will just merely depend on whether there will parked cars in the way of the shot. I am also concerned about the possibility of wet weather when I need to shoot the ending


I tried to put together a synopsis on my BSA231 short film so that I can enter it into Think & Create. It was tricky because it couldn't be like a logline or a film treatment. I guess this is something that takes practice and I had to search on the internet on how to do a synopsis.

Literary Terms. (n.d.). Synopsis. Retrieved October 4, 2019, from Literary Terms website: https://literaryterms.net/synopsis/


Synopsis

State of Mind
Directed by Jerry Westaway

Slice of life drama


This film is inspired by personal experiences of the filmmaker. 
State of Mind is a heartfelt social drama about a young jobseeker, Darren who is struggling with mental health issues while trying to get employment. 
His struggles ultimately becomes a barrier to get a job and it is up to his sister from Timaru, Daisy to help and guide him to get to a better state of mind and let go of his internal struggles. Will Darren be able to let go of his insecurities?


I did manage to give Jeromy a call, but he didn't answer and so I had to leave him a message. 

I also managed to proof read the script and the story seems to read fine with the new ending. I also made some minor changes like instead of Daisy running across a street, she approaches the road and the rest is off-screen. I added the changes to the script and emailed a copy of the new final draft to Patrick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3