Screen Arts - S2 Week 12


02/10/2019


Experiment with atmospheric sound into the sequence
I added sound recording of a noisy class into the segment. The sound recording was recorded in my research class a couple of weeks ago on my phone, which surprisingly was done at a high quality. I had to dim down to -20db to seem more atmospheric like I was aiming for like I suggested in my proposal. I played it back and gave something more to the scene, making it feel like a noisy and busy computer lab without seeing any other students on-screen aside from the main characters.




Craig McCracken





HDTVSeries. (2016, March 24).The powerpuff girls: intro (original) hd [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlpUABjD_p0




Powerful Girls was a show that I wished I could watch as kid, but I came from a conservative background and setting that wouldn't allow that. I do know that Keane was an inspiration behind the art style and that's why the Mayor's secretary is called Ms. Keane.


Bewexecu. (2015, October 27). Foster's home for imaginary friends episode 1 [full episode] [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b6566




Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was a relatable show and is a show I remember watching a lot on Cartoon Network during my childhood. My favourite character was Eduardo, a strange, purple, neurotic monster. It also makes me think of another Cartoon Network, My Gym Partner's a Monkey.






Staffordwilliam578. (2017, October 10). W
ander over yonder over yonder ep01-the greatest ep02-the egg [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x63yjo4




Wander over Yonder looks terrible and tries too hard to be like his other shows

His art style is full of vibrant colours and bold outlines


Lauren Faust





Snow. (2017, February 15). My little pony friendship is magic - season 1 episode 1 [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5bspb3




My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a show that I'm very familiar because my sister is a big fan of the shows.


KCruzer. (2013, August 18). 
Super best friends forever [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyusYKXWN38








The art style in Super Friends Forever reminds me of Samuari Jack. The show brings a funny and juvenile take on the friendship between Superman and Supergirl as siblings.

Her work is filled with pastel colours, the theme of friendship, femininity, and a focus on female characters


Lisa Hanawalt








Adams, N., Bulkley, A., Calo, J., Campodonico, C., Choi, R., Galuska, K., Hanawalt, L., Hollingsworth, M., Purdy, K., Sethi, M., & Wiseman, J. (2014 - present). Bojack Horseman [Television series]. United States: Netflix




Bojack Horseman is an adult animated show I love watching on Netflix. It takes mental health issues seriously, but at the same time is a good satire on celebrity culture. My favourite episode is the one where Bojack buys a boat so that he can hang with his ex and her family for a year. I like how in one episode where Bojack nearly goes to New Zealand for the filming of a movie he was going to star in, but because he gets fired from the role, he doesn't go. I believe Bojack going to New Zealand is a missed opportunity.

I'm surprised they were capable of getting Matilda actor Mara Wilson to guest voice on the show since she only acts for friends nowadays. The show is also good for giving long term work for Aaron Paul after Breaking Bad ended.


Anthropomorphic characters is part of her style





Bulkley, A., Campodonico, C., Choi, R., & Hollingsworth, M. (2019). Tuca & Bertie [Television series]. United States: Netflix.




Tuca & Bertie reminds me that film or show is good when you see how characters react or do in a dramatic situation or dilemma, which ultimately drives the film or show. It's not as good as Bojack, but it does offer a similar style of adult humor. I was surprised to hear that Tuca & Bertie got cancelled because it feels like it started recently.

The show reminds of Regular Show because of the mature content and similar main characters. The main characters have a similar dynamic to the main characters in Regular Show.




Mr Peanutbutter was annoying until the second season. He got better as a character from there.




Blog task: Differences in their work


Presentation
I need to have a clear meanings for replicating the influential director's trademarks or techniques. What is the technique and what does it contribute to the story? What are they meant to make the audience feel? Like they're eavesdropping?
I need to think careful about this.





04/10/2019



Eisenberg, L., Goldberg, E., Hunter, K., McAtee, A., Rogen, S., Shaffir, A., Weaver, J., & Stupnitsky, G. (2019). Good boys [Motion picture]. United States: Universal Pictures.





I went to see this film at Reading Cinemas tonight.
I would describe this film as basically R-rated Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but with elements of Big Mouth. It carried good characterization and performances from the young actors, and brought a lot of quantity and quality to the dilemmas and dramas that the characters face in the story. I quite liked the lighting. The lighting was like as though it had been done by SIT film students. I'm not meaning in a bad way, but it's just something that amazed me.

However, I did feel as though the adult humour in the film had 'been there, done that' vibes. It's not a film I would likely watch again, but it's definitely better than Sausage Party.




05/10/2019


Engelman, R., & Russell, C. (1994). The mask [Motion picture]. United States: New Line Cinema.




The Mask is a film that I loved watching on VHS and DVD as a kid, among many other Jim Carrey comedies. I remember being hooked on the film's behind the scenes that was part of the DVD special features.

It's a film that deserves much more credit than it has, especially since the review on Rotten Tomatoes make it sound flawed. Watching the film for the first time since I was ten, it's made me realise it's a neo-noir superhero comedy. I never saw this film as a superhero film during my childhood because of the titular character's anti-hero antics.

The lighting, writing, and characters definitely support the idea of the film being a neo-noir.
The art deco title graphics and production design help support the noir trademarks of the film. The visual effects (asides from the VFX textures) seemed to have aged fairer than most films with CGI from that time. 

This film also crosses genres well like a Tarantino film.
The musical score is top-notch, beautiful, and much better than I remember.
It expresses wonder, fear, whimsy, action, and something ominous
Like Tim Burton's Batman films, it focuses so much on it's dark tone, you seem to forget the campy humour in the film.

Even though the world has seen more than enough reboots and from the superhero genre, it would be interesting to see this film in a millennial, contemporary setting. I believe it could work as long as it doesn't applies much of the cliches and formulas from the saturated superhero genre.


08/10/2019


Blog task
Differences between McCracken, Hanawalt, and Faust are very clear like how McCracken and Faust are for a child or pre-teen target audience, whereas Hanawalt makes hows for an adult target audience. Their art styles are very different and the same goes whether their work is licensed or original like how Haust's show, Super Best Friends Forever is a product of DC Comics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3