Visual Effects Compositing - Week 12



03/10/2019


Green screen tracking
We did tracking of a green screen footage. We coloured it to blend in with the background through Lumetri Colour. I had fun by making it black and white authentic footage with film burn, film grain, and monochrome coluring. Having it black and white makes the compositing hard to tell, which is what you would want.

I also applied a cartoon stylize effect, which made it look animated. Animating only the edges and not the fill, gives a graphic novel look to the video.







In any case, both outcomes (black & white film, cartoon) look professional.





Quick Rotoscoping Brush
I had to create a new composition for the machine gun. We introduced to the Quick Rotoscoping Brush Tool, which can rotoscope whatever you want in an instant. You hold alt to deselect a part of the rotoscope. This is the best way to rotoscope if you have little time or have no green screen
I had fun adding radio waves in the background, duplicating the subject and applying different colours to them (blue wash, sunset gradient, and Colorama), and mismatching the colours.

Moon shadows effect is something I will keep in mind to try on my footage for my project, as well as Cartoon.





I spent time on editing my VFX short film and now I'm at the half way point of completing the editing


04/10/2019


After watching Good Boys at Reading Cinemas tonight, it motivated me to continue editing my VFX short film tonight and managed to sync up most of the footage for the last half of my short film (the scen with the portal), but there is still more editing to do before eventually doing the compositing, effects, colour grading, and title graphics.



05/10/2019


I spent an exhausting hour on editing the last of the VFX short film. It pretty much showed me how the portal scene was most challenging to edit for this project. This current edit is actually 4 minutes and 35 seconds long. 

I exported the completed edit into a video file, so that I can watch it later with a clearer mind and eyes.
I tried to export it as a smaller video file like for 480p, so that I could place the edit on here in the blog, but I couldn't get it smaller than the maximum of 100MB for placing videos on here.






I looked back at how much of the duration is where VFX is involved. I did the math and found the amount of VFX in this short film amounts up to 1 minutes 6 seconds.







06/10/2019


I played back the edit from yesterday. Aside from needing more insert shots of the portal when I first walk in, it seems to have come out fine. I also need to have someone to voice the portal and ADR their voice.


08/10/2019


I showed the edit to Ruby this afternoon. She wasn't entirely impressed because of the darkness (colour grading hasn't happened yet) and that it had a boring start. She also suggested finer cuts in  a way I couldn't comprehend and she felt that there were inconsistent jump cuts, which is something I agree with her on. Part of me was hoping that no one would notice those chunky parts of the editing.

Ruby suggested showing this edit to other students, but I felt that would be a tall order because many have a lot on their plate and time.
She then instead suggested to showing this rough cut to the VFX class on Thursday for feedback, which I was fine with.

The ways forward for this cut is to introduce SFX, ADR voice-over, VFX composition and tracking, adding royalty free music, colour grading, and title and credits graphics.


09/10/2019


I mentioned to SIT Productions about showing the rough cut to Ruby and they offered to watch my rough cut for feedback.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3