Screen Arts - S2 Week 16



30/10/2019


Presentation feedback
I received constructive feedback of my presentation. A lot of the comments were around the use of sound - should had applied lower levels of dbs (even though I did), should had used ProTools (I wasn't comfortable with that software at the time), should had EQ'd the soundtrack on ProTools. It was also believed that I did meet my goals for these experiments and the class could recognise themselves in the background noise, but I assured them that it was only for this presentation and would be excluded from the Think & Create cut.

I was asked why there aren't any other people in the scene and I told the class that I had skeleton crew and no one else was available to be extras (so I couldn't be on-screen and had limited resources in this case).


05/11/2019


Blum, J., Mansfield, R., McKittrick, S., Peele, J., Rabinowitz, D., Redick, S., Wachtel, C., & Lee, S. (2018). BlacKkKlansman [Motion picture] United States: Focus Features



Themes - racism, identity (character development with Flip affecting his views on his Jewish heritage)

It's the best film to come from Spike Lee in a long time and It was a very brave and a big risk and challenge for Spike Lee to make a film like this (he would properly hate me for stating something like that), despite the film retaining the same type of themes that we have come to know from his films like triggering sympathy in the audience towards victims of racism. It has a strong social commentary that is specific to stuff that is going on in the present day like having a president like Donald Trump. 

One scene where Ron and Patrice are talking about blaxploitation films, it's done in a visual and enthusiastic way like you would expect from a Tarantino film. 
Having some of the white characters portrayed as unsympathetic, racist authority figures is very much a trope of blaxploitation cinema that is included in this film.
Another scene where Ron is talking into David Duke over the phone about a white kid and a black kid playing together being separated by the white kid's dad is a clear example to the audience that racism is taught.

It was good use of editing intercutting between two sides of the political coin in this film, between the Klan ceremony and the young Black Panthers listening to an old man about the past horrors of racism in America.

The epilogue sends a clear message that white supremacy remains to be a threat to society and humanity in the present day.

Comments

  1. I really enjoy our after-class chats about what you've watched each week. Your blog reviews are also well-considered and written. And, as always, the APA referencing of the movies makes me cry happy tears. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3