Digital Video - Week 2


19/02/2020


I brought along my proposal and print outs of research and visual references. 
I had done a logline, but it was a spur of the moment type of thing when I wrote it.
James had each of us explain what our theme is for our films this year. 
I had nothing to further explain because it's hard to tell when it comes to a documentary.

I discovered today that we get money from SIT for our solo project. It's believed to be roughly $800 and I have to prepare a filming budget.
Looking back at 2040, I could utlise VFX for my documentary, but since I'm not confident,  sassified, or have confidence with my VFX and animation. 

I would need to talk to Rachel, but I could get an animation student to do the animation or motion graphics in my documentary and make it an internship opportunity for him or her. In addition, I could pay him or her in my budget (minimum wage - $18.90)

I would imagine at this stage of what I have in mind, the animation could possibly take as much as at least ten hour of their time (just under $200 in total). But, how to tax it?

I informed James that I need to be cleared for using the F55 and F3. I also don't know whether Chris has re-opened the equipment or when he will do so. James said he will ask him. I will just need to get a student to film for the test filming, likely done during one weekend, but it only take one hour.
I would like for it to happen next weekend if possible.

James has given us a task for the next class, which is to write a one-page document outline of our vision and what the film will be about essentially. It can be a treatment, but in my case, it's tricky to do so for a documentary.



21/02/2020

I came up with a personal statement to include as a potential voiceover for my showreel. It may also work for my documentary

Showreel statement
In times of today where nihilism, nationalism, and apathy run rampant, we must not forget who we are, who we come from, how to respect for another, and most of all, humanity. 
But we must also not ignore what's out there on our front door. 

We must document that and let future generations make sense of that if we fail to do so and I believe film and video are the best medium to accomplish that.

Planning test footage shoot (29th February - 2nd March)
I was thinking about doing a bit of both interview and B-roll test footage, but I was going to ask one of the boarders at where I live (who is also passionate about climate action) and then my landlord to see if it's okay for me to film at the house.

It turns out the boarder is busy working during the weekends and so I thought about asking an SIT student on Monday, but then I decided to stay with doing B-roll test footage, especially since I just need myself to shoot it and then record sound afterwards.

I will need to apply with ICC Parks and Reserves to film at Queenspark and quite possibly the center of Herbert Street. I will also need to email Nathan Gills (Invercargill City Council) to be allowed to film on the footpath on Herbert Street to shoot traffic signs.

I will apply for specific times over the course of three days. 
I wouldn't only need to film on only one day, but the other days is in case of bad weather.
The tricky part is how to describe the center of Herbert Street and specific spots at Queenspark to ICC Parks and Reserves, but I could attach images.

Patrick mentioned last year that the old VHS camera in the equipment room was used in a past SIT student film project and so I thought I might do that for my test footage (Academy Ratio). It will be interesting how I will digitize the VHS footage, but still, I will have to consult with Chris to start with.

My test footage will always begin with a wide lens (16 or 18mm) to see if I can manipulate the size of the footage to suit any type of aspect ratio in post. 
It will then be done by taping (gaffer tape - that's why I need it) the viewfinder in the shape of the aspect ratio if the camera doesn't have the guides for particular aspect ratios.

I spoke with Chris today and he told me that the equipment room will be opening for the year on Monday onwards. In hindsight, I should had asked Chris about the VHS camera.

Doing the test footage will help me re-familiarize myself with the camera and sound equipment. It's also a chance to learn and teach myself the lapel sound kit when shooting the test interviews.

Original equipment list

  • Blackmagic + tripod
  • VHS camera
  • Slate
  • 18-35mm lenses
  • 70mm lens
  • Zoom sound recorder
  • Lapel kit
  • Boom pole
  • Aladdin
  • Redhead kit
  • Gaffer tape

Original plans for interview test shoot
Out on couch in front
Sitting out back (depending on weather)

Indoor alternative 
Couch in lounge
Desk chair in my room

Shoot plan (test interviews and test B-roll)
Interview 1.1 - Wide Shot 16:9 (16-18mm)
Interview 1.2 - Academy Ratio 4:3
Interview 1.3 - CinemaScope
Interview 1.4 - 2.76
Interview 1.5 - 4.00
Interview 1.6 - 9:16

Scene 1 - Interview test footage
Scene 2 - B roll test footage


In terms of time management, I would had needed 30 minutes to set up the equipment and an hour to shoot the actual test interview.

Initially, I was going to do B-roll of just the center of Herbert Street, the Bike lane sign on Herbert Street, School crossing sign on Herbert Street. Both signs near Southland Boys' High.

I would only need one film student to help me out if the initial plan went ahead because I would need a someone to gaffer and hold the boom.

Alternative interview test footage locations (SIT Downtown campus)

  • Dance room
  • Random classroom
  • Business lecture room
  • Green screen room
  • Print room
  • Office near RAW Gallery
  • Editing suite
  • The Clinic (classroom)



New shooting plan
Saturday
11am - 12pm: Herbert Street
1-3pm: Queenspark

Sunday
2-4pm: Queenspark
7-8pm: Herbert Street

Monday
10-11am: Herbert Street
1-3pm: Queenspark

New equipment list
  • Blackmagic + tripod
  • VHS camera
  • Slate
  • 18-35mm lenses
  • 70mm lens
  • Fisheye lens (for Cinerama tests)
  • Zoom sound recorder
  • Gaffer tape

These are framing tests I did shortly prior to the start of the course

Catherine Street




Herbert Street






Queenspark






























I looked into about the local organsier of the school climate strike movement in Invercargill, only to find out that Ashleigh Putt-Fallows is no longer in the role and has passed onto 10-year old, Enoch Surrendan. I have decided to rule out that option since making it around a 10-year old will present overwhelming ethical issues. That Putt Fallow's Facebook is very private to a point where it lacks reliability.

Although, a documentary on Enoch would be interesting.

I will just need to contact the SIT programme manager for Environmental Management and see if there are any keen students in that field specializing in climate change, who don't mind being the subject of a documentary.



23/02/2020

Fitzgerald, J. (2012). Filmmaking for change: making films that transform the world. Michael Wiese Productions.

Experiment with connecting the boom to a Blackmagic camera

- Rails and gaffer tape?

Be sure to storyboard any animation or motion graphics before generating it for a documentary. Animation can help ideas or emotions be delivered more expressively to your audience than any live-action footage.

Press kit for my documentary?

Parts of a press kit

  • Synopsis
  • Director statement
  • Cast and crew list (brief bios included?)
  • Snippets of media coverage / social media response
  • Stills from the film and BTS
  • Guerrilla campaign?
  • Print outs of blog posts
Press kits are almost like a director's manifesto, but in this case it's more promotional and you are selling a completed film to a wider audience. Try to appeal to your target audience through the press kit.

Documentary film festivals
  • Full Frame
  • Hot Docs
  • Sheffield
  • Silver Docs
  • Thessaloniki
  • True / False
  • IDFA
  • Tribeca
  • SXSW
  • CPH:DOX
  • Ambulante / Morelia
  • Jihlava
  • Camden
  • Sarasota
  • Doc Lisboa
  • Ashland
  • DokuFest Kosovo
Combining a naturalistic tone and stylized cinematography and editing is a form of documentary filmmaking called 'cinema verite', which is also close to the vision I have for my documentary. It also can involve dramatizing events in the film.


I think I will see if VFX / animation will be needed for my documentary or can supplement the points in the documentary by the time it comes to finishing production and a load of the post-production commences.



B-roll framing tests that were never used for projects last years, but they could work well into the b-roll for my documentary.



Kelvin Street (need to scout this location again to specify where on Kelvin Street this is)




Corner of Tyne and Ythan Streets


Outside CUE building



Opposite SIT Downtown campus


Nursing block, SIT main campus


Otakaro Park



Queens Drive (pathway behind the Water Tower)




Wachner Place




24/02/2020

I created a template for the Cinerama aspect ratio (2.59:1) on Illustrator since I couldn't find one online. I based it from a screenshot from a Cinerama film on Kanopy.






I did think about sending an email today to Nathan Gill and got halfway through it realizing I will likely need more exact spots on Herbert Street for the street signs near Southland Boys' High. 



25/02/2020 


I tried to track down Chris MacDonald yesterday on booking out gear for the weekend, but he was off sick. He sent me an email this morning and informed me that I can see him about it tomorrow morning.

James informed me about The Blue Book at the SIT Library, which includes how to approach filming children. It will be very useful for my project.

I will just abandon the Herbert Street signs and leave it for another time because I don't have time to check it out properly

Back on Friday, I was thinking about doing some b-roll footage of a junkyard on Bay Road, but the question is to who to ask permission to shoot there, how to find out who owns the land, if there's anyone in the City Council to talk to about it, and whether that information is public?



I spent time tonight filling out a consent form for ICC Parks and Reserves, so that I can shoot B-roll footage at Queenspark over the weekend. I will include photos of the camera shots with the form to visually show them the nature of the camera shots I plan to do. Here's hoping they wavier the fee because I'm student, otherwise I will have to pay them $25 just to shoot at a park.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3