Digital Video - Week 6


18/03/2020

I managed to download aspect ratio overlay properly at home and ingested into my hard drive. When I got to campus this morning, I went into Premiere and applied the overlays to the remaining footage. The difference between these three are limited, but very subtle.


2.35 (pre-1970 CinemaScope)


2.39:1 (post-1970 CinemaScope)


2.40:1



In class, we were told about how the assessment is going to be change quite a bit to reflect the learning outcomes and will have a presentation due of our project in two weeks time. It was much more specific to different kinds of film projects. With COV-19 spreading in New Zealand, there will be a lot of uncertainty with my project, so I will be laying low for a while. If I contacted the main subject while this is happening, she will likely try to pull out and I have no documentary, then I will be back at square one.

We also spent time in class to discuss amongst yourselves about how ethical themes and situations are handled in films and how getting funding for a New Zealand film happens.


20/03/2020

I was starting to think about making COV-19 an element into my documentary like how the fear and impact of COV-19 is affecting school climate change activism in Invercargill.



Potential film festivals
I took a look at FilmFreeway and browsed through all the film festivals that I could my documentary into. New Zealand and Australia are obvious choices, but since other film students here have entered their films beyond Australasia with success, I thought I would consider that too. Internationally, I would consider Canada, the United Kingdom, Sweden (the birthplace of the school climate strike movement), Ireland, South Korea (Kang told me that it's a very open-minded country), and the north half of the United States.

I would likely enter my finished documentary into film festivals if I feel it is good enough and close to the standard that I had in The Kinetic Files, however the quality might be affected by the impact of COV-19

New Zealand
  • Show Me Shorts 2021 - US$50
  • Doc Edge Festival (Best New Zealand Short Documentary, Tertiary Student Documentary) - NZ$20
  • Wellington Independent Film Festival

One of the formats for films selected in Doc Edge must be Blu ray. It would be interesting how you would submit a film for Blu ray. Would be a digital codec or burning a film onto a Blu ray disc.

Australia
  • Melbourne International Film Festival (MIFF) 2021 (Best Documentary Short Film) - A$110
  • Great Northern International Film Festival 2021; $5-35
  • Changing Face International Film Festival; $15
  • Byron Bay International Film Festival; $30-60
  • The Next Level International Film Festival; $15-35
  • Bendigo International Short Film Festival 
  • Melbourne International Cinema Extravaganza (M.I.C.E.)

United States
  • Oakland International Film Festival 2021; $40-85
  • Oakland Film Festival 2021 - (Best Short Film, Best Documentary Short, Best Student Film) - US$75
  • Political Edge Film Festival 2021 - $45
  • Anchorage International Film Festival (AIFF); $35-60
  • Rhode Island International Film Festival; $50-75

Canada
  • Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) 2021; $65-105
  • Vox Popular Media Arts Festival; $15-30
  • Vancouver International Film Festival; $35-45

Sweden
  • Stockholm Independent Film Festival 2021 (Best Short Film, Best Documentary Short, Best Student Project) - $85

United Kingdom
  • Raindance Film Festival 2021 (Best Documentary Short) - 50 quid
  • Encounters Film Festival 2021; 20-40 quid
  • Sheffield International Film Festival 2021; $20-50
  • Southampton International Film Festival; $20-70
Ireland
  • Cork International Film Festival 2021; $25-45
  • Dublin International Film Festival 2021; $10-30



22/03/2020

I have heard word today that the school climate strikes are cancelled, but they are looking at creative solutions for it to somehow still go ahead in spirit, but I don't know if that will be going ahead in Invercargill. I'm stuck on how to go ahead with the documentary with this in mind, I refuse to change the whole project, and go back to square one. I desperately need advice and direction, so I will consult with Kathryn tomorrow at our one-on-one session.

If I switch to a new premise or genre, I don't know if I can go through it all after my film project last year. I could look back at my story ideas, but I'm more passionate about this documentary.


These are times of extreme uncertainty.



23/03/2020

I am still concerned about my film project with this coronavirus happening. I could include COVID-19 into the drama of my documentary, but that only changes what I am going to do, not how I'm going to do it, which is more important under these circumstances. I'll need to consult with Kathryn and James on suggestions on get around this and salvage my project

Kathryn sent us a form to fill out about what stuff we would need for studying at home (computers, software, Wi-fi), if SIT is locked down as a result of COVID-19.

We watched an important announcement form the Prime Minster in the middle of class. The announcement essentially told us that everywhere in NZ will be in the process of locking down in the next 48 hours and that we will all be self-isolating for the next four weeks. This was a complete bombshell for me because it means my film project is now dead and I don't know where go from here; whether to try and salvage it or go back to square one.

I will email James and Kathryn for advice on Monday. I wont this week because they'll have a lot on their plate at the moment because of the lock down. I did manage to fill out the form for Kathryn and emailed it to her tonight, and I asked about the text message she sent to all of us this afternoon. The message stated the equipment room oncampus would be open tomorrow afternoon for us to get any tablets or other equipment we need for the next four weeks of confinement. I wasn't sure if that included computers with software we don't have, so I asked for clarification in the email. It wasn't safe to presume.


24/03/2020

I received an email from Kathryn informing us that we will somehow be given access to Adobe software and that the term break has been moved to next week, which means the deadlines after this week have been shifted to next term after the lockdown ends. The only deadline I have worry about now is just my research mapping, which is due on Friday afternoon. 

This just gives me more reason to question whether to continue with my film project or not.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3