BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 5



27/04/2020

I emailed questions to Kathryn to clarify that I didn't miss out on any information that I should know and how and when we will be doing our online classes for this paper during level 3 lockdown. She replied telling me that she will be giving me feedback on my first mapping task and that I needed to get the 'blogging as research' task done, which confused me and replied to her for clarification. Kathryn replied back that she gave it out to class and that it's available on Blackboard, but I had to tell her that it's not available on my server, but it's different to the others in the class because I'm a graduate diploma student. 
She told me that she will look into the issue.

I was very stressed and depressed about the blogging as a research task and that it needed to be done before Friday and included in my blog submitted. It took me a while, but I eventually came to realization that I had already done a blog entry on the lines of what Kathryn has requested us to do in the task and that it was actually called 'blogging as a inquiry' task.


28/04/2020

I took a day off for my mental health, but Kathryn sent all of us an email about the one-on-one session through Skype on Friday and she included a PDF document of the course outline to the email. I later found out through Discord that she was meant to also include other related resources as well.


29/04/2020

I emailed Kathryn informing her that I am going home to Timaru to improve my mental wellbeing, but I assured her that I would still be working from there. I also included questions about whether my past blog post similar to the blogging as inquiry task would be satisfactory and for any news on the issues surrounding Blackboard, and that she replied back stating that going home and working from there was fine by her, but she also asked whether I will be available for a video call through Skype on Friday, in which I responded with yes. 
She emailed me nothing about my past blog post or about the issues on Blackboard.

In an one-on-one voice chat session with James on Discord, he informed us that we need to get content ready for our first exhibition as soon as possible. I was stumped on what I could provide for my entry since I haven't thought to send another email to James Shaw's office to get consent to use the footage I took of him talking in Invercargill about climate change. 
I did send one email so far, but with no response.

It was suggested to me that I could just edit together some footage to express the tone and content of my documentary, which is not a bad idea.
I just need to get some footage from Flickr and Parliament TV (use is allowed for non-commercial content), as well as some random stock footage of green environments.

I installed Premiere and Media Encoder from my Adobe Creative Cloud to prepare for putting this video together. I plan to get a start on it tomorrow. I also plan to have another look at my past blog entry with the task required for before Friday and see if there's any need to develop it further.


TheGamingLemon. (2016, October 1). DATE WITH DEAD WIFE! - The Sims 4 - #20 - (Sims 4 Funny Moments) [Video file]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2deKQccuvXU

I would like to think of it as the most happiest eulogy you could imagine for the planet Earth and as a warning if climate action is not taken. The total opposite of the one in TheGamingLemon's flashback sequence in his Nigel Thornberry Sims 4 series on YouTube. As well as give people an idea on how my documentary could start.














30/04/2020

I took a look at what I wrote for the blogging as a method of inquiry task in a past blog entry. 
https://jerrywestawayscreenarts.blogspot.com/2020/03/bva703-research-week-4.html

Here I will be expand on that to suit what the task requires of me and reading more of the material


Barnes, Naomi. “Blogging as a method of inquiry.” In Recontextualising Educational Research Methodology 2017, 8 (1). Retrieved from https://journals.hioa.no/index.php/rerm/article/view/2236 .

Barnes suggests that as you continue writing, you change as a person and ultimately change how you write to suit your blog audience. Your blog audience can give you encouragement and motivation to continue on with your blog, but be prepared for constructive feedback. 

Invoking emotion in your writing can be a way to connect and engage with your audience like it is literature or even like it is visually with new media like film, video, and animation. You can make your blog serious, not trendy like in other social media.

Cambridge Dictionary. (n.d.). Scholarship. Retrieved April 30, 2020, from https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/scholarship

It's hard to tell what Barnes means by scholarship, but by searching for the definition in an online dictionary, it suddenly makes sense what she meant. She means serious and detailed study.

Each blog entry is a messy collection of your thoughts and findings from your study, but you could publish quotes or titles of your research material onto other social media like Twitter.

Authorship of your blog is not only yours, but the audience that give constructive feedback when you make changes based on that feedback. Your audience can also help you refine and clean up your messy typing, and improve your skills in typing and blogging.

The blog audience can be an ongoing contributor in your journey for knowledge as you grow and develop. 

A blog entry is not only a historical capsule of the knowledge we know as of now, but yourself as the blogger, what you are as a person because who are you are as a person and expressing that in a blog is all you need and not completely rely on social media marketing.

Task

What has the reading material could make you more productive in your blogging process and make improve your own blogging process compared to now?

It's hard to say. Barnes says it's a documented personal journey and you continue to develop as time goes on, but it does encourage to expand my readership, which I have little of because I don't really share it because there are not many outside SIT that would be interested, but there might be some interested inside SIT that would be interested. However, I don't know whether they have the time or be bothered reading my blog regularly, maybe every now and then at least. Catering my writing to my audience and invoking emotion in my style of writing like what Barnes could help, but I'm not completely convinced it will be effective at this stage.

A lot of what Barnes states is focused on the blog audience and what they can contribute to me and vice versa, but I won't have a big idea on the effect of all these ideas until I have a reasonable amount of online readers, which means I need to be more open about my blog and have my blog more accessible by sharing the link to those who might be interested.

However, I don't want the audience to control the content of my writing to the point where it gets too stressful to continue and develop.

I could however share my blog with my past tutors in Christchurch.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3