BVA703 Research - Lockdown Weeks 1 & 2
02/04/2020
I haven't spent much time on research for this paper since submitting the research mapping last week because I needed a break from that and focus more on my other papers. I did however do research for those papers since the submitting the research mapping. Plus, it's been a challenge not to procrastinate while being at home this long.I plan to attempt to modify my research questioning in the light of the COVID-19 pandemic, maybe do some more research that I didn't have time for last week, and email Kathryn letting her know, as well as ask for her advice on my research project and to see if I'm going in the right direction while in self-isolation.
I informed Kathryn via email and she wanted me to explain a bit more about James' feedback, which I did and she sent me another email reply asking whether I have considered a Plan B and I told her I haven't and gave her reasons why not. Lastly, she reckoned that I am going in the right direction and that I should explore ways to find ways around COVID-19 restrictions to my project.
Modifying research questioning
One way I could modify my amongst the crowd question is to use a long lens if there is a future physical protest, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. But if need be, I could make use of footage already done and add a aspect ratio mask with the permission of the video creator.
I couldn't come up with anything else on modifying my research questioning today
03/04/2020
Potential research question changeHow can aspect ratio make an impact on a short documentary about a social issue like the school climate strike movement
It could work, but 'social issue' has no new relevance to expanding on my research, only on specifying the subject of my documentary and my research is more focused on aspect ratio.
I tried to make progress today, but I had trouble focusing. It just wasn't my day again today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better for me.
04/04/2020
I found out that I can install EndNote at home this week after reading about it on MySIT. I tried installing it a couple of days ago, but it didn't work properly it needed a registration code that didn't have. At the time, I thought I had to do the free trial and there would be an option to connect to my student email. Apparently not. I was planning email IT about this issue at some point.I read on MySIT today that the reason why EndNote wasn't installing properly. It was because I hadn't extracted the files from the Zipfile. So I extracted them and I managed to finally install EndNote on my laptop t\o use at home. It would had been more useful when I was finishing my research mapping task last week, but I can still learn the software over the lockdown though.
06/04/2020
With this global pandemic happening, health and safety has become more important than ever in our course or in the film industryBray, G. (2020, April 6). Journalists under increasing pressure to be safe amid coronavirus pandemic - 'The mouthpiece of the public like never before'. 1 News. https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/journalists-under-increasing-pressure-safe-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-mouthpiece-public-like-never-before
1 News tonight said how they are dealing with the doing their job and keeping their distance. It shows to me that my project is still possible
TVNZ's basic rules during Covid-19 pandemic
Wide, but tight camera angles
Constant hand sanitizing and sanitizing equipment
They also mentioned this website with resources for journalists doing their job, which I believe have elements that are also relevant to documentary filmmaking.
It was last updated on March, 25 2020.
This source and the 1 News may yet be a big help to developing my ethical and health and safety consideration for my research project
Committee to Protect Journalists. (2020). CPJ safety advisory: covering the coronavirus outbreak. Retrieved April 6, 2020, from https://cpj.org/2020/02/cpj-safety-advisory-covering-the-coronavirus-outbr.php
- Do not work with those who are elderly or have underlying health conditions, or vulnerable to covid-19.
- Keep the subject and the subject's family well informed of the health and safety plans before commencing.
- If in any doubt about the location, do not go ahead
- Use anti-bacterial wipes or hand sanitiser if you have no access to running water. Use regularly, but also do wash hands regularly with hot water and soap and not take it for granted. May have to use hot water and soap if there is no hand sanitiser to purchase
- Use common sense (2 meter social distancing, avoid touching your face - difficult for me, and cough or sneeze into your elbow)
- If you have spectacles, clean them regular with hot water and soap
- If you have cellphones, clean the screen regularly
- Individuals involved with have their own cutlery, food, drink, and cups, which will not come in contact with anyone else
- Do not wear watches or jewelry and do not bring them with you
- Ensure your clothes have been washed at a high temperature with detergent
- Travel is a very tricky thing - try to avoid public transportation, but use hand sanitiser before you get on and after you get off. If you are giving people a ride if you have car, be cautious about that person since the virus can exposed to others in the car
- Use boom pole for sound recording, instead of lapel mics
- Expose your equipment to sunlight for several hours since sunlight can kill viruses
- Face masks and other PPE are not necessary if you don't have COVID-19 or working in a high risk environment (hospitals, clinics, morgues)
If they are meeting somewhere with potential risks of COVID-19 after the lockdown is over and I have doubts about the location, I could ask them to film for me, but that seems like a big ask.
I know how difficult will be would be moderate health and safety rules related to COVID-19 and hearsay from others may not be enough, but I just have to trust my crew and others and have faith they will take it seriously.
Modifying research arguments
There is only one argument of mine that would be affected by the circumstances of COVID-19...
Original argument: Filming amongst the crowd in 16:9 can make the audience feel like they are there and convey the urgency of the climate strikes
Looking back at this statement and looking forward at the potential aftermath of this pandemic, there are two options...
1. Abort it and replace it with a new argument
2. Ethical considerations - Use a long lens or put the CPJ regulations into practice
It's hard to say at this point because they may by chance return to physical demonstrations later in the year, but for now, it looks like it will be done on social media until further notice. If nothing changes, this argument will become redundant and I hate to say this but, hoping for the best may slow production.
I don't know if I can use other people's footage for conducting this project, since it's not my own work and would make the project lack consistent originality as an outcome.
I may need to watch more documentaries and research other ways to convey urgency of the climate strikes and make the audience feel like they are there
That or go back to square one with that research argument and start afresh
It's a lot to think about, but it could possibly be not a priority at this stage. I could shelve it for now.
I should probably email Kathryn and consult with her
07/04/2020
I tried to practice some APA referencing with EndNote, but it became quite tedious and tiring after nearly an hour. Like Zotero, it does miss out on some details compared to if I did it manually and referring to SIT's APA referencing guides.EndNote can also be vague on what constitutes to being audiovisual or multimedia.
I have sent an email to Kathryn letting know how I have been trying to find ways around doing my project with the pandemic and its aftermath in mind.
I have been spending more time today looking after myself. It has been difficult focusing on my work this week.
09/04/2020
I received an email from Kathryn and she suggested to talk to James about reshaping my project to suit the post COVID-19 world.tried to ring Tyler Baikie for advice on reshaping my project, but I couldn't get hold of him.
I did try to write an email to James and a Facebook message to Jacqui for the same reason, but I had a mental block on communicating through typed or written words.
I could also express it verbally. This is why I don't text or message people much because I find it easier for me communicate with people verbally, either in person or by voice or video call.
With this happening to me, I just decided rest up for the Easter weekend to settle down my mental health and go back afresh afterwards.
Comments
Post a Comment