Digital Video - Lockdown Week 3
08/04/2020
I spent time today putting my APA referencing together properly.Proposal presentation - APA references
Opening quote
Guterres, A. (2019, September 23). Remarks at 2019 climate action summit. United Nations Secretary-General. https://www.un.org/sg/en/content/sg/speeches/2019-09-23/remarks-2019-climate-action-summit
Use of aspect ratio
Baker, L. (2019, June 28). Why is the 4:3 aspect ratio so popular right now. Shutterstock. https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/4-3-aspect-ratio
Adobe. (n.d.). Find the right aspect ratio for your video. Adobe. https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/video/discover/aspect-ratio.html
Australian Screen. (2020). Aspect ratio. National Film and Sound Archive of Australia. https://aso.gov.au/about/aspect-ratio/
Tomorrows Filmmakers. (2018, November 16). Aspect ratios - Tomorrow's filmmakers [Video file]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdPsyLtlamM
Hardy, R. (2015, May 23). The cinematographer's process: Why choose one aspect ratio over another? Filmmaker Freedom. https://filmmakerfreedom.com/blog/2015/5/23/using-aspect-ratios-like-a-pro-why-choose-one-ratio-over-another
Cuthrell, E., Kopp, N., Savino, V., Savjani, A., & Urrutia, D. (Producers), & Reichardt, K. (Director). (2010). Meek's cutoff [Motion picture]. Oscilloscope
Adelson, A., Alfred, M., Bush, E., Farrell, C., Goodwin, A., Kao, K., Meza, A., Rosenbaum, J., Rudin, S., & Yacoub, L. (Producers), & Hill, J. (Director). (2018). Mid90s [Motion picture]. A24
Brown, S., Carlyle, P., Greenwald, N., Kopelson, A., & Panitch, S. (Producers), & Fincher, D. (Director). (1995). Se7en [Motion picture]. New Line Cinema
Deckler, C., Kaplan, D., Mayakara, K., & Roa, A. (Producers), & Shults, T. E. (Director). (2017). It comes at night [Motion picture]. A24
Marvin, N. (Producer), & Darabont, F. (Director). (1994). The shawshank redemption [Motion picture]. Warner Bros: Castle Rock Entertainment
Herzog, W. (Director). (2004). The white diamond [Motion picture]. Marco Polo Film AG
Background research
NASA Science. (n.d.). Mitigation and adaption. NASA. https://climate.nasa.gov/solutions/adaptation-mitigation/
Sohn, E. (2014, January 20). Climate change and the rise and fall of civilizations. NASA.
https://climate.nasa.gov/news/1010/climate-change-and-the-rise-and-fall-of-civilizations/
Ministry for the Environment. (n.d.). Evidence for climate change. New Zealand Government. https://www.mfe.govt.nz/climate-change/why-climate-change-matters/evidence-climate-change
Ministry for the Environment. (2019). Environment Aotearoa 2019 Summary.
https://www.mfe.govt.nz/Environment-Aotearoa-2019-Summary#issue-9
Ministry for the Environment. (n.d.). Likely climate change impacts in New Zealand. New Zealand Government. https://www.mfe.govt.nz/node/16596
Ministry for the Environment. (n.d.). Agriculture emissions and climate change. New Zealand government. https://www.mfe.govt.nz/climate-change/why-climate-change-matters/agriculture-emissions-and-climate-change
Ministry for the Environment. (n.d.). Likely climate change impacts in New Zealand. New Zealand Government. https://www.mfe.govt.nz/node/16596
Ministry for the Environment. (n.d.). Agriculture emissions and climate change. New Zealand government. https://www.mfe.govt.nz/climate-change/why-climate-change-matters/agriculture-emissions-and-climate-change
Littlewood, M. (2019, April 23). Patiti Point erosion cuts off carpark. Stuff.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/112213918/patiti-point-erosion-cuts-off-carpark?rm=a
National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (n.d.). Climate change. NIWA. https://niwa.co.nz/climate-change
National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (n.d.). Climate change. NIWA. https://niwa.co.nz/climate-change
School Strike images
School Strike 4 Climate NZ. (n.d.). Home [Facebook page]. Facebook. Retrieved December 6, 2019, from https://www.facebook.com/schoolstrike4climatenz/
Murdoch, S. (2019, September 18) 4000 Days: A climate change story where you choose the ending. Stuff. https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/climate-news/115875115/4000-days-a-climate-change-story-where-you-choose-the-ending
Meredith, K. [@tweetwithkieran]. (2019, September 27). Currently [Tweet]. Twitter.
Meredith, K. [@tweetwithkieran]. (2019, September 27). Currently [Tweet]. Twitter.
https://twitter.com/tweetwithkieran/status/1177394961139978241/photo/1
Mood board
Artigianodellaluce (2018) * [Photograph]. DeviantArt. https://www.deviantart.com/artigianodellaluce/art/--729544445
America, As in Us
Chamya
Bentley, E., Bergesio, D., Durr, J., Hill, G., & Jeter, J. (Producers), & Malick, T. (Director). (2019). A hidden life [Motion picture]. Fox Searchlight Pictures
Ashcroft, N., Eliason, G., Gardner, D., Gonda, N., Green, S., Hill, G., Pitt, B., & Pohlad, B. (Producers), & Malick, T. (Director). (2019). The tree of life [Motion picture]. Fox Searchlight Pictures
Vigil
Slade, E. (Producers), Harcourt, M., & Mckenzie, S. (Directors). (2017). The changeover [Motion picture]. New Zealand Film Commission: Firefly Films
Lorde. (2013, May 12). Lorde - Royals [Video file]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFasFq4GJYM
Wes Anderson
IMDb. (n.d.). Wes anderson. Retrieved April, 2 2020, from https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0027572/
Merata Mita
Wellywood Woman. (2015). 'Merata Is Always With Us'
https://wellywoodwoman.blogspot.com/2015/10/merata-is-always-with-us.html
KITT
Ben Dean. (2020, January 16). KITT [Video file]. https://vimeo.com/385369619
Patu
Mita, M. (Director & Producer). (1983). Patu [Motion picture]. New Zealand Film Commission; Awatea Films.
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Bush, E., Dawson, J., Frazer, J., Rales, S., Rudin, S. (Producers), & Anderson, W. (Director). (2014). The grand budapest hotel [Motion picture]. Fox Searchlight Pictures: Indian Paintbrush
Start again
Brock, W., Harvey, B. (Producers), & Donaldson, R. (Director). (1972). Start again [television documentary]. New Zealand Broadcasting Corporation; Aardvark Films.
I searched through looking for images online like on Google Images and Deviant Art, but I was particular about it and couldn't find images that I felt expressed the mood and tone of my documentary faithfully.
I tried to come up a list of resources and things needed for my short documentary, but it was a challenge to do so when things are so uncertain at the moment going forward. I don't know if the shape my film is currently will be realistic or achievable post COVID-19 society. It deeply depressed me today, so I decided to leave it at that.
I also spent time today collating all my APA referencing together in alphabetical order.
I tried to ring Tyler Baikie for advice on reshaping my project, but I couldn't get hold of him.
I did try to write an email to James and a Facebook message to Jacqui for the same reason, but I had a mental block on communicating through typed or written words.
I could also express it verbally. This is why I don't text or message people much because I find it easier for me communicate with people verbally, either in person or by voice or video call.
With this happening to me, I just decided rest up for the Easter weekend to settle down my mental health and go back afresh afterwards.
Green screen would be a big undertaking and would require each person being filmed individually with a long lens, which would be potentially too consuming on time and resources. A long lens would be necessary to feed into post-COVID-19 health and safety.
Animation would require at least one animator depending on the time needed to animate sequences needed. The sequence would ideally be in a sketchy style similar to Stay Close or Dear Basketball.
I would need to think carefully about this since it would need to not disrupt the style and tone of the live-action parts. The animation would need to be in sequences to limit the workload of the animator and I don't want it all animated because that's beyond me and letting animation students do the work for me visually makes me feel like a fraud.
The animation sequence combined would be between one minute (minimum) and seven minutes (maximum).
It would likely prove tricky to get an animation student committed to this short documentary as I know from the class response when asking for feedback on my research questioning a few weeks back.
I managed to produce a more structured mood board on InDesign and placed it into my presentation. There was more room for the images on doing in InDesign than doing it manually on the presentation itself.
Today, I will be going ahead with putting in citations where necessary into my presentation, which I would usually not have time to do. I only added citations if there was room on the slides. I also organised all the APA references into the presentation, but resulted in several slides!
I have been continuing to have difficulty focusing since I don't have much direction at moment and I have to wait for advice from others on how to reshape my project in a post-COVID-19 world. I also can't focus on doing research without thinking whether these aspects will sacrificed or not for the sake of COVID-19 and if so, it would had been a waste of time. It still has an effect on mental health, especially with no visual or audio contact from people from SIT since the lockdown.
I sent an email to James for advice on reshaping my short documentary to suit complications around COVID-19, but I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get a reply until at least Wednesday because of the long Easter weekend.
I got in contact with Traci for advice on how to reshape my project and suggested a few things like ask fro advice from my subjects, but the thing is I don't want to look incompetent in that way and the next time I contact them, I want to provide them a solution around COVID-19 to put their minds at ease.
The other suggestion of hers is for my short documentary to instead focus on how climate strikes has been transitioning from on the streets to social media. It helps me on WHAT, but I still don't have a way on HOW.
My dad suggested filming empty streets, land, and car parks on my walk around the block that I have been having. The only problem would be that the City Council like it down the track without their consent, plus even if i asked for their consent, they would likely not allow it under the level 4 lockdown.
I did do a Google search into documentary filmmaking during COVID-19, but all the relevant sources focused on the distribution during this pandemic.
Stronach, A. (2019, July 16). The Zoom video conferencing exploit that sends ninja waiters into your home. The Spinoff. https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/16-07-2019/the-zoom-video-conferencing-exploit-that-sends-ninja-waiters-into-your-home/
Nostalgivault. (2018, July 20). Shrek II DVD menu walkthrough [Video file]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhujBga39vI
One way I could reshape my short documentary is have it structured around the form of a video conferencing aesthetic. Tomorrow, I'll try to draw a sketch on how it could work in my documentary. This idea could perhaps also have value in breaking the fourth wall a bit. This idea has potential and could help make the tone more optimistic and warm, but I wouldn't call it 'a silver bullet' to the problem.
I drew up a sketch, but I got stuck on it could have on them, so I just guessed. I'm not 100 percent it will be these types of content, but it's just to get the visual idea on paper
I fear that the quality of my short documentary will suffer as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
09/04/2020
I received an email from Kathryn and she suggested to talk to James about reshaping my project to suit the post COVID-19 world.I searched through looking for images online like on Google Images and Deviant Art, but I was particular about it and couldn't find images that I felt expressed the mood and tone of my documentary faithfully.
I tried to come up a list of resources and things needed for my short documentary, but it was a challenge to do so when things are so uncertain at the moment going forward. I don't know if the shape my film is currently will be realistic or achievable post COVID-19 society. It deeply depressed me today, so I decided to leave it at that.
I also spent time today collating all my APA referencing together in alphabetical order.
I tried to ring Tyler Baikie for advice on reshaping my project, but I couldn't get hold of him.
I did try to write an email to James and a Facebook message to Jacqui for the same reason, but I had a mental block on communicating through typed or written words.
I could also express it verbally. This is why I don't text or message people much because I find it easier for me communicate with people verbally, either in person or by voice or video call.
With this happening to me, I just decided rest up for the Easter weekend to settle down my mental health and go back afresh afterwards.
10/04/2020
At midnight brushing my teeth, I suddenly came up with options to capture amongst the crowd stuff to convey the urgency of my subject, what if it could achieved with green screen or animation.Green screen would be a big undertaking and would require each person being filmed individually with a long lens, which would be potentially too consuming on time and resources. A long lens would be necessary to feed into post-COVID-19 health and safety.
Animation would require at least one animator depending on the time needed to animate sequences needed. The sequence would ideally be in a sketchy style similar to Stay Close or Dear Basketball.
I would need to think carefully about this since it would need to not disrupt the style and tone of the live-action parts. The animation would need to be in sequences to limit the workload of the animator and I don't want it all animated because that's beyond me and letting animation students do the work for me visually makes me feel like a fraud.
The animation sequence combined would be between one minute (minimum) and seven minutes (maximum).
It would likely prove tricky to get an animation student committed to this short documentary as I know from the class response when asking for feedback on my research questioning a few weeks back.
I managed to produce a more structured mood board on InDesign and placed it into my presentation. There was more room for the images on doing in InDesign than doing it manually on the presentation itself.
11/04/2020
I wrote an email draft to send to James asking for advice on reshaping my short documentary like Kathryn suggested that I do. I will be sending it after the Easter weekend because he'll more likely see the email then.Today, I will be going ahead with putting in citations where necessary into my presentation, which I would usually not have time to do. I only added citations if there was room on the slides. I also organised all the APA references into the presentation, but resulted in several slides!
13/04/2020
Last night I had a weird dream that I met Werner Herzog and he was doing a documentary on New Zealand.I have been continuing to have difficulty focusing since I don't have much direction at moment and I have to wait for advice from others on how to reshape my project in a post-COVID-19 world. I also can't focus on doing research without thinking whether these aspects will sacrificed or not for the sake of COVID-19 and if so, it would had been a waste of time. It still has an effect on mental health, especially with no visual or audio contact from people from SIT since the lockdown.
I sent an email to James for advice on reshaping my short documentary to suit complications around COVID-19, but I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get a reply until at least Wednesday because of the long Easter weekend.
I got in contact with Traci for advice on how to reshape my project and suggested a few things like ask fro advice from my subjects, but the thing is I don't want to look incompetent in that way and the next time I contact them, I want to provide them a solution around COVID-19 to put their minds at ease.
The other suggestion of hers is for my short documentary to instead focus on how climate strikes has been transitioning from on the streets to social media. It helps me on WHAT, but I still don't have a way on HOW.
My dad suggested filming empty streets, land, and car parks on my walk around the block that I have been having. The only problem would be that the City Council like it down the track without their consent, plus even if i asked for their consent, they would likely not allow it under the level 4 lockdown.
I did do a Google search into documentary filmmaking during COVID-19, but all the relevant sources focused on the distribution during this pandemic.
Stronach, A. (2019, July 16). The Zoom video conferencing exploit that sends ninja waiters into your home. The Spinoff. https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/16-07-2019/the-zoom-video-conferencing-exploit-that-sends-ninja-waiters-into-your-home/
Nostalgivault. (2018, July 20). Shrek II DVD menu walkthrough [Video file]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhujBga39vI
One way I could reshape my short documentary is have it structured around the form of a video conferencing aesthetic. Tomorrow, I'll try to draw a sketch on how it could work in my documentary. This idea could perhaps also have value in breaking the fourth wall a bit. This idea has potential and could help make the tone more optimistic and warm, but I wouldn't call it 'a silver bullet' to the problem.
I drew up a sketch, but I got stuck on it could have on them, so I just guessed. I'm not 100 percent it will be these types of content, but it's just to get the visual idea on paper
I fear that the quality of my short documentary will suffer as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.




Comments
Post a Comment