Project Management - Lockdown Week 3
13/04/2020
Not much has changed since my last entry. There hasn't been that I have been needed for yet, but I will have something to do soon.I have been trying to keep in the loop by checking the discussions regularly being made on Discord and I have given feedback on the recent version of the animatic. I asked on Discord today whether I was needed to add sound effects yet on the current version of the animatic or wait until it is finailised. Bethany thought that I should wait. But I will likely need to install Premiere on my computer very soon.
Margulies, S., & Wolper, D. L. (Producers), & Stuart, M. (Director). (1971). Willy wonka and the chocolate factory [Motion picture]. Warner Bros. Pictures; Wolper Pictures Ltd.
Themes - hope, morality
One of the favorite childhood movies and it was on TV3 tonight. I haven't watched it since I was 10 and I only watched it on TV, DVD (once), and VHS, but this is the first time I had watched it in 16:9 widescreen, which was good because it gave me a wider scope of the film's cinematography unlike what was possible in my childhood.
It holds up better than the Tim Burton remake and makes me hope Taika Waititi's Netflix remake will be on the same level as the original.
Gene Wilder steals every scene in the film with his whimsical and sarcastic performance as Willy Wonka, but does so with sociopathic tendencies.
Peter Ostrum also stood out in his film debut performance as Charlie Bucket and to me, made a more convincing and strongly written performance than Freddie Highmore in the Tim Burton remake. I'm not saying Freddie Highmore did a bad job, I believe he did the best he could in the remake.
This film also proves to be more comical, satirical, and funnier than I remember and there is context in some scenes that I understand better as an adult like the scenes with the frustrated inventor and his machine meaning to disclose the location of the five golden tickets, the news anchor trying to think of something more important than the worldwide hunt for the golden tickets, the kidnapping randoms of a case of Wonka bars, and the therapist sequence
One thing I couldn't help thinking of as a young adult was the income and revenue increase that Wonka would had made from the worldwide hunt for golden tickets and would likely made supply and demand limited just to see the world go nuts.
Another thing that makes this film better than the remake is that the film's tone and production design doesn't suffer from the director's self-indulgence and instead trades it for making not everything in Wonka's factory is not as it seems.
When watching this film, I couldn't help but try to deduce how the film's special effects worked like with Violet becoming a blueberry (lighting and makeup) and the fizzy lifting drinks scene. This film is also one of many films where the older and wiser I get, the more I understand the film's context and story

Comments
Post a Comment