BVA703 Research - Week 9


15/05/2020

I joined into the online class. It was more about questions from students about studying onsite and people in the course talking about your progress and seeking feedback from others. 
I stayed to give feedback. 

It turns out I can use sources beyond theoretical and technical texts for annotating texts. It can be a film review about a film relevant to your research and write about how the review is relevant to your research and the credibility and reliability of the reviewer.



21/05/2020

Looking back at my research arguments and the feedback from Kathryn, I fear I may have to go back to square one because I now don't imagine the concepts in the arguments will end up being in my documentary. I cannot make a connection between them and my documentary.

I tried out modifying the arguments and replacing them when need to be, in order to dovetail with my vision for my documentary. '16:9 being an indicator of original material and CinemaScope being an indicator of third party material' was an idea, but that would be a very difficult argument to prove, especially with the time I have.

The choice of aspect ratio will help each story in a documentary convey a message
At first glance today I thought this argument could had still been salvaged to use for my project and still have a connection. But now, I cannot see it because the way I will be using aspect ratio for my documentary have changed as a result of COVID-19 and creative changes since then.

I will need to consult to Kathryn about this tomorrow. Does the arguments need to be consistent with one term like in my case, aspect ratio, and can the focus of the arguments be a variety of terms. Do the variety have to relate to each other like all have be camera or editing techniques?

Brainstorming arguments
  • The application of CinemaScope can make stock footage look cinematic
  • The application of the 16:9 aspect ratio can help provoke an naturalistic tone
  • Recorded Zoom interviews can still provided a factual aesthetic to a documentary
  • Archival or stock footage relevant to the subject tends to be provided by someone or an organisation outside of the production


https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_file?accession=osu1437499872&disposition=inline

I tried reading this as asked by Kathryn, but I couldn't get my head around it. It will probably make more sense tomorrow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3