Digital Video - Week 10
21/05/2020
I came across interview questions that I generated while doing preliminary research on aspect ratio and climate change early this year. I got forgotten that I came up these interview questions and they may become useful at this stage since I'm trying to come up interview questions for this documentary.
I wrote something up for the synopsis needed for my submission tonight. It's not quite like a synopsis, so I will likely give another go at writing this very soon.
Plus, I don't really have a thematic or core question, which has been difficult to generate so far.
Draft synopsis
The Green Revolution is a short documentary on the highs and lows of the school climate strike movement in Invercargill, New Zealand. It serves as a time capsule in the form of a documentary. The story starts with introducing the protagonist and her activism, to the local climate strikes held in 2019, to the challenges and impact covid-19, and the future of the movement. This documentary's protagonist is Ashleigh Putt-Fallows, a teenage climate activist that leads the school climate strike movement in Invercargill. In the interviews, we will be talking to other climate strike organisers and people in local government. Within the story, the documentary will explore the humanity, conflict and drama faced by an influential youth movement and an idealistic millennial.
24/05/2020
Two personal scenes to keep in mind to add later into my AV script. Both would be shot in the Academy Ratio
Ashleigh walking down a street
Looking out to a horizon
I decided to have scenes related to COVID-19 in CinemaScope, so that it's part of the drama just as much as the local climate strikes. Having COVID-19 images while the subjects talk about their potential solutions to striking despite the unprecedented event, I believe it gives both present day and future viewers a glimpse on what was on everyone's minds during this time, including the climate strike organsiers.
I got a really good effort done on my AV script tonight, especially now having a better idea on how this format works, more so than when I was rushing through through the first draft.
I focused on developing the body of the documentary's story
I have proofread the body of the AV script and added the necessary shot details, but I will still double-check the body of the AV script probably tomorrow to try and make sure nothing falls through the cracks, which may likely still happen because it's not like I can print it off.
I do proofreading at its best if it's printed out and not on a digital screen.
25/05/2020
I double checked the body of the AV script and I then went onto developing the beginning and ending. It's getting into pretty good shape at the moment. The beginning was easy to do because I had already developed it in the conventional format on Celtx, many weeks ago.
I like to think of my creative process in making this documentary is that I collect as much information and content as I can, then collate most of them into a story. This project is very editor-driven, which is to my advantage because I desire to have a career in editing screen media after graduation.
The AV script outlines the documentary at its very essence. Some things are left out from the AV script because it would make it too long and would potentially be added anyway if I need more in my documentary.
I will be sure to go back and double check all aspect ratios and SFX, and spell check 'Ashleigh'
16:9 - Everything else (wide shots of landscapes, interviews)
4:3 - personal moments
2.39:1 (CinemaScope) - climate strikes and covid-19 pandemic
I reckon at this stage that the only things that will be through conventionally through an F55 or Urusa Mini would be B-roll wide shots of landscape and personal moments.
It could all be shot within 1-2 days, but that;s not up to me because it will be at the main subject's convenience for half of the filming.
I did manage to double check all aspect ratios and SFX, and spell check 'Ashleigh' later on today
Health and safety anxiety
I tried to get a draft response to the email reply from Ashleigh concerning filming interviews with other climate strike organisers from around the country through Zoom, but I just got myself stressed, anxious, and lost confidence since I don't feel 100 percent or confident that I'm doing all the right steps, especially since there is a big gray area because there's no rule book when it comes to remote filming with minors and a lot of the rule book doesn't relate to this scenario (e.g. dietary requirements, travel, chaperone). It's a big, massive loophole.
I just need to add more details to a release form for minors to include details for parent(s) like health and safety situations and solutions, the content of the documentary, and what their child be doing in participating.
The only health and safety concern I could think of in terms of risk assessment is the child's privacy; how the recorded interview will be handled and not be in the wrong hands, which I can assure that it can be handled safely since I will be managing that myself. All copies of the recorded Zoom interviews will only be in my sole possession for use in my documentary.
The child's safety would be at a much lower risk since he or she would not be required to be in physical contact or near anyone, which is a good solution for those who still fear about covid-19.
I may need to step back a bit and come back to it in a couple of days. In which, I should continue developing the interview questions and then re-read the resources on filming with those whom are underage to give myself a piece of mind and certainty. I should perhaps also consult with James and others from my course.
I took a read of the covid-19 publication for the film industry from ScreenSafe. There was nothing to keep in mind that wasn't obvious. It was full of common sense.
I took a read of the release form that is used for film entries for The Outlook for Someday and even their release forms are in line with my child release forms, which gives a little bit of confidence that I'm doing the right thing.
Comments
Post a Comment