Project Management - Week 9


12/05/2020

30 minutes of time spent on meeting. It went quite brief, plus I had connection issues and difficulty with communicating with the others in the group.

13/05/2020

Davidoski, T., Davisson, J., DiCaprio, L., Guirgis, M. T., Krapels, M., Packer, J., & Ratner, B. (Producers), & Stevens, F. (Director). (2016). Before the flood [Motion picture]. National Geographic: RatPac Documentary Films.



Themes - nature, corruption, humanity, science vs capitalism

Before the Flood is an insightful, engaging and informative documentary on the subject of climate change, how it is affecting the world, the Paris Agreement, and famous people put their ten cents in on the subject. The information that expressed in this documentary not only of An Inconvenient Truth, but also of the information that shocked and intrigued me concerning climate change.  

It delivers a strong message about our society and economy blindly ignore climate change and outside our own backyard.

The documentary essentially applies conventional uses of aspect ratio. It primarily uses 16:9, but also uses 4:3 for the sake of archival footage.

Opposition represented by conservative and biased media, misinformation, and right-wing politics

Conflict and drama in interview subject e.g. discredited by the media, death threats

I was surprised to see Elon Musk in this documentary and hear his take on climate change and carbon tax

Due to budgetary restrictions, I don't think I will have as much reliance or amount of stock footage or image like this documentary

Surprised to see a glimpse of John Key (then-Prime Minster of New Zealand) at the Paris Agreement signing

The documentary address the positive and negative impact and perspectives on the Paris Agreement e.g. significance, but also its flaws like not enforcing a carbon tax.
I could do the same with the school climate strike movement to make the argument two-sided

DiCaprio even talks with a Republican (a political party with a majority of conservatives and climate change deniers) who believes that climate change is a real threat and that a carbon tax should be enforced in the United States.

Fun Fact: Martin Scorsese is credited as one of this documentary's executive producers

The most open and natural interview of a power figure I have seen. DiCaprio and Obama walk, talk, and stand in the gardens of the White House. I don't see myself implementing something like this for my documentary at this stage because of covid-19

I could try to interview Sir Tim Shadbolt and ask him about his views on climate change and the school climate strike movement and how he would compare it with social movements in his youth e.g. opposing Vietnam, nuclear disarmament, Apartheid in South Africa.

I think I saw Helen Clark

The closing credits gave me more ideas for interview questioning like ending fossil fuel subsides, investing in renewable energy, and a carbon tax

A carbon tax was included in the documentary's budget through CarboTax.


14/05/2020

25 minutes of time spent on meeting. I can only stay in for that long because of my weekly meeting Duncan Sarkies for three weeks. For my sake, today's agenda was outlined to me and the rest of the group.



Capotosto, C., & Ma, N. (Producers), & Neville, M. (Director). (2018). Won't you be my neighbor? [Motion picture]. Focus Features: Tremolo Productions.



It relies a lot on archival footage which is feasible for this documentary because 9of the subject (Mr Rogers)

Most archival footage that would likely had been 4:3 has been enlarged to fill a 16:9 frame. Some like the first episode of Mr Rogers' show is still shown in 4:3 in the documentary and not enlarged to fill 16:9. This is used quite randomly throughout the documentary.
Finding a reason for this really racked my mind. I cannot find a reason or purpose for it.

It's an interesting personal profile on Mr Rogers, his life and career. The documentary is nothing special, but this great figure of empathy is special. 
The drama comes from a minority of this documentary e.g. the odd self-doubt, controversies and hate from conservatives and biased media because of his personality and inclusiveness.
It's horrible to see and hear. He's a type of person the world needs at the moment. Jacinda Ardern is closest person we have of that type.

I think I was expecting a bit more or something that is missing, but I can't put my finger on it.


17/05/2020

I spent 47 minutes of my time to achieve these things below
I ingested the animatic and most recent draft screenplay onto my computer. 
The screenplay will be helpful beyond just the visual animatic. 
It was helpful in having all the SFX in mind

I worked away starting to find sound files and create a soundscape for the first 15 seconds to start with. I look for music because I don't see the need for music for this part, plus I need to consult with Caleb on what type of music he would want in each moment or scene. 
I managed to find a range of sound effects from freesound.org, mostly public domain SFX to start with.

https://freesound.org/people/adcbicycle/sounds/13908/

https://freesound.org/people/BenjaminNelan/sounds/410360/

https://freesound.org/people/Gammelsmurfen778/sounds/474009/

https://freesound.org/people/arseniiv/sounds/380660/

https://freesound.org/people/heavenly-roads/sounds/510214/

https://freesound.org/people/loopbasedmusic/sounds/157485/

https://freesound.org/people/Dave%20Welsh/sounds/194364/


I exported the completed first 15 seconds of the sound mix into a video file for playback because my laptop can be very slow in playing back on Premiere. It reminded me of audio class last year.
It sound good, but I thought I could find a better crawling SFX. It turned out there wasn't a better one I could find online. 
I spent a further 7 minutes in search of a better crawling SFX on freesound.org

https://freesound.org/people/meggiepie/sounds/389688/

This SFX was okay, but it wasn't really an improvement over the crawling SFX that I already used.


18/05/2020

I have been in communication with Caleb today about the style of the music that is desired for the animatic and he told me he would source some samples later in the week. 
I may have keep going on with mixing the SFX together until then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSA731 - Exhibition 2

Digital Video - Lockdown Week 4

BVA703 Research - Lockdown Week 3