Digital Video - Week 14
17/06/2020
We talked in class about potential shooting dates. I don't know the circumstances of my filming and whether fixing on particular dates will suit the interview subjects, but I made do with making my shooting dates 4-8th of August because I will be busy with my group project from now and until the end of July.
We also discussed about our exhibition starting on the 26th of June. I'm on the exhibition team and asked James about having prints done and he said to get them sent to him. I informed Devon about the the print specification that Rachel told me recently for the exhibition prints.
Later that night, I started thinking about my budget, but it's hard to tell what my budget will need aside from catering, travel, and entry fees for film festivals. I may look back at the budget example that I had discovered through my research to see what expenses could be applicable to my documentary.
Production
Location usage - $50
$25 - Queenspark
$25 - New River Estuary Walkway
Food = $150
$50 x 2 shooting dates
$25 x 2 shooting dates
Petrol = $200
$50 x 4 shooting dates
Emergency money - $100
St John Compact First Aid Kit - $50
Distribution
Entry Fees - $70
$40 - Show Me Shorts
$15 - Changing Face International Film Festival
$15 - Environmental Film Festival Australia
Total = $520
19/06/2020
I spent the afternoon and dusk to do some location scouting for b-roll footage at the Estuary Walkway. I was at the same time considering what healthy and safety elements would be involved, which were difficult to find solutions to for like how to shoot b-roll with narrow paths and uneven grassy ground and not block the path or get in the way of the general public e.g. bikers, pedestrians. I think there will be less risk with filming on wide trail paths and only block half the path for the general public to pass without disruption.
I might get a 1st year student to stand in for a shot that I had in mind because he or she will more likely be available than Ashleigh and the fact that it doesn't have to be Ashleigh. The shot would involve someone sitting and standing looking into the distance at the Estuary.
I took photos of shots that I would want to film on my phone's camera in the event that it proves impossible to film because of the narrow trails, which would be where the camera would situated in order to capture the b-roll. If I can't get it filmed, then can still use the still image instead and have background sound included.
Narrow trail
Low risk Estuary b-roll
Moderate risk Estuary b-roll
Estuary still images
https://www.nzfilm.co.nz/resources/fresh-shorts-budget-template
I looked at this as an example to find things to include into my realistic budget.
https://shop.stjohn.org.nz/collections/industrial-workplace/products/compact-first-aid-kit
This is where I found the first aid kit. It seems affordable for a first aid kit that is designed for 1-25 people in a low risk environment or 1-5 people in a high risk environment. It also a few dollars cheaper than the equivalent at Red Cross.
https://screenguild.co.nz/resources/Documents/Filmcrews%20Drama%20_%20TVC%20Rate%20Card%202018.pdf
https://www.payscale.com/research/NZ/Job=Film_%2F_Video_Editor/Hourly_Rate
https://www.degnz.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/DEGNZ-RECOMMENDED-RATES-FOR-DIRECTORS-2018.pdf
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/employment/news/article.cfm?c_id=11&objectid=10450725
I made a guess on what roles may need to be filled for my documentary shoot
Interviews
Assistant Camera (if F55 is involved)
Gaffer
Sound Recordist
Boom Operator
Runner
B-roll
AC
Soundie
Runner
I went searching online pay rates for different production roles in New Zealand film, which were difficult to track down. Some I couldn't find and have just had to guess for now. I found some rates and divided them down to determine the hourly rates.
AC - $60/hour = $1440 (excl. GST)
Gaffer - $64/hour = $1536 (excl. GST)
Soundie - $64/hour = $1536 (excl. GST)
Boom Operator - $42/hour = $1008 (excl. GST)
Runner - $20/hour = $480 (excl. GST)
Director - $65/hour = $1560 (excl. GST)
Editor - $25/hour = $600 (excl. GST)
Location Scout - $20/hour = $480 (excl. GST)
DOP - $50/hour = $1200 (excl. GST)
Total = 9,840
(incl. GST) = $11,316.00
21/06/2020
For now, I reckon only the first three days of shooting is allocated for filming interview and the other day is for B-roll. I don't expect to get every B-roll I have in mind shot in that day and if that's the case, I can do it on my own with an Urusa. I am really aiming for to shoot the local organiser within the first two days with it being a weekend.
Day 1-4: 6 hours a day (estimate)
I have also considered looking at other parks and reserves for environmental b-roll like Anderson Park and Thompson's Bush
Equipment rental prices
https://rentmygear.co.nz/gear/gearDetail/blackmagic-ursa-mini-pro-4-6k-1
https://www.rubbermonkeyrentals.co.nz/product/engraved-combo-slate-clapper-board/
Camera - $1,600.00
URSA Mini Pro Kit Lenses/Sound/Tripod - $350 a day (plus 10% deposit of $140) - $1540
Engraved Combo Slate Clapper Board - $15 a day (incl. GST and insurance) = $60
http://www.whitestudios.co.nz/rentals/Motion/sound1/sound2/zoom-h6-handy-recorder/
http://www.whitestudios.co.nz/rentals/Motion/sound1/sound2/rode-mini-boompole/
Sound - $230.00
Zoom H6 Handy Recorder - $46 a day (incl. GST) - $184
Rode Mini Boompole - $11.50 a day (incl. GST) - $46
http://www.whitestudios.co.nz/rentals/grip-hire/booms-and-weights/booms/sandbags/
https://www.rubbermonkeyrentals.co.nz/product/litepanel-1x1-led-lighting-unit/
https://www.rubbermonkeyrentals.co.nz/product/arri-800w-redhead-open-face-tungsten-lamp/
http://www.whitestudios.co.nz/rentals/grip-hire/stands/c-stand-sliding-leg/
http://topicrentals.co.nz/rentals/black-textile-cutter-for-rental.html
Lighting - $626.30
Litepanel 1×1 LED Lighting Unit - $60 a day (incl. insurance and GST) - $240
ARRI 800W Redhead Open Face Tungsten Lamp - $25 a day (incl. insurance and GST) x 2 = $200
Sandbags - $3.45 a day (incl. GST) x 3 = $13.80
C-stands - $11.50 a day and each (incl. GST) x 3 = $34.50
Black Textile Floppy Cutter (flag) - $11.50 a day (incl. GST) x 3 = $138
22/06/2020
'Buffering' Exhibition
- We forgot about having the exhibition map done and sent to Kathryn last Friday. We will keep that in mind for our next exhibition.
- I reminded the groups, especially the design team about the sandwich boards at the RAW Gallery that could be used to promote the exhibition
- There was confusion over submitting prints to be printed for our exhibition. I wasn't sure where to send it to for printing, to Rachel (like the L7 animation students) or James. I did however send the TIFFs of my prints to James just in case.
- Rachel informed us about placing our prints on foam core, it's a type of foam board that also sticks to the wall. There is a catch though, we have to cut them and stick our print(s) to the foam core ourselves. I gotta say that a print looks better on foam core than on its own. Rachel also warned us to have confidence while cutting the foam core or otherwise the edge will look uneven and rough. This will be quite challenging for me because of my dyspraxia
- Over Discord, we discussed which places each of us wanted to occupy in the RAW Gallery for our exhibition.
- I will be attending the L7 animation class tomorrow in order to practice cutting the foam. I was familiar with foam core from studying arts and media in Timaru, but we weren't required to do it ourselves and the tutors did it for us instead.
23/06/2020
I worked on the budget in a Google Sheets based from the Fresh Shorts template.
'Buffering' Exhibition
- Me and Devon discussed about how there will be more tv screens than prints or works of art. I reminded him that there is not many visual art students left and so most of level 7 is film and animation.
- Rachel informed us that it would be best not to do the cutting on our prints until at least tomorrow afternoon because it needs 48 hours for the prints to dry properly




















































































Comments
Post a Comment