BVA703 Research - S2 Week 1
10/07/2020
An abstract is a 300 word overview concerning every aspect of your research (e.g. introduction, results, methods, discussion, and conclusion) and doesn't introduce anything new to your document. Other aspects include write in reflection, and have each of your introduction, methods, and results summarised within one or two sentences, whereas your discussion should be contained within one sentence.
It was challenge since I'm not great at summarsing a large amount of information and still make it clear. Looking back at the research, I would say about half is still relevant to my project, while the other half is no longer connected or have substance to my project.
Draft abstract
This practice-led research entails in trying to discover how the recent covid-19 pandemic could affect a short documentary on the school climate strike movement. Westaway attempts to investigate the potential of having a interview done for a documentary over remote technologies, the potential of drama that the pandemic provides and the impact it provides on the documentary subject, encouraged use of third party material, the effectiveness of different forms of activism, and the motive of the movement.
Documentary as a means of inquiry is the method applied to this research, which consists of the filmmaker's own original step-by-step approach to producing the outcome or project.
The reasons behind going ahead with this research include the film industries around the globe are in fact being affected by the covid-19 pandemic and to inform future generations of current events.
There are diverse range of examples that are close enough to supporting the research objectives, including published quotes from an academic and industry figure, and filmmaker, and from both New Zealand and overseas. Westaway explains and concludes that the movement is still going regardless, online activism has little impact, and the movement has little impact on politics. Educated and experienced viewpoints are recognised as key support to the research, and looks back on the potential of the future evidence and how far the current evidence could go for the research.
13/07/2020
I decided to contact the people at Miharo to see I could shoot Ashleigh's interview in their building because they are household kitchen there and I could use that as that as the background. It would look like it was at Ashleigh's home and no one would be the wiser.
I have also been plowing ahead in getting my pre-production done. I have a lot left to complete like my risk assessment, camera and lighting schematics, APA referencing for my director's manifesto, one-line scheduling, shooting schedule, and call sheets.
I managed to complete my storyboards and draft scheduling today, but I will need to work through my breakdown this afternoon and tonight
14/07/2020
I managed to complete my breakdown late last night, as well as my call sheets and scheduling this afternoon. I was unable to get the right dates in my scheduling or call sheets because Celtx wouldn't let me include weekends to shoot. It has been an interesting experience organising my pre-production through Celtx through. I had a new script done earlier of stuff I would be shooting in August to start with.
I will need to take another location scout at Queenspark to find exact spots for shooting before applying for consent from ICC Parks and Reserves.
I talked to Luqman and Oisin about if they were interested to be my sound recordist, but they were uncertain whether they would available despite our filming calendar and it was big maybes from them. Oisin is unfamiliar with the lapel mics, so I may approach Doug about getting an audio student to be my sound recordist instead.
I have also come to the decision to shoot interview from members of the public on the streets and students at the main campus as part of my documentary to help with it not being biased.
I consulted with James about whether I would need to still ask Nathan Gills at the City Council for consent and he suggested that I still should.
I also asked Tyler if he was available to do some lighting tests for my documentary, but he wasn't. We decided to do it next Thursday morning and I was able to book the green screen room for the lighting tests.
I came across some first year film students super keen to be involved with my documentary. I might have Leigh to assist during the street interviews and Thomas to assist me with the URSA when switching between the tripod mount and shoulder mount.
15/07/2020
I worked on my camera and lighting schematics and location maps this morning towards completing my pre-production paperwork that is due this afternoon.
I have managed to get equipment booked for the lighting tests and have sent an email to Doug Heath to see if any audio production students would be keen to work on my documentary as a sound recordist.
By the end of the day, I managed to get my pre-production paperwork ready for submission, after spending the afternoon completing my filming location maps, camera and lighting schematics, and APA referencing my director's manifesto.
I also drafted a few interview questions for environmental management students tonight.
16/07/2020
I wrote a few emails to people like Robert Guyton (Environment Southland councilor) and Ashleigh concerning the documentary. I asked if Guyton interested in being interviewed for my documentary and asked Ashleigh if she was fine with having B-roll of her shot on campus and at Queenspark. I really need to scout Queenspark and the New River Estuary again, but the weather was been too cold and wet to do it the right way
I also drafted another few interview questions for members of the public
I couldn't find any email or contact details of SIT's Environmental management tutors or programme manager, so I went straight to the source. I visited their building on Tay Street and spoke to the programme manager. The programme manager was very supportive about my documentary and will post an announcement to see if any environmental students are keen to be involved.
When I got back to the Downtown campus, Guyton had already sent back a reply. He is interested n being involved, but asked me where and what time would the interview be. At that moment, I'm quit stumped on where to do his interview since I am running out places to film on campus, there's nothing that comes to mind when it comes to the main campus, and shooting outside can be unpredictable and there would be a chance that I would have to shoot the interview inside anyway. I need some time to think about this...
Comments
Post a Comment