BVA703 Research - S2 Week 2
17/07/2020
It was a very challenging research exercise. It was at times like a brain teaser and a brain workout like last week's class exercises. I couldn't for the life of me produce he paragraphs in my own words for the third exercise.
When you change a word in a quote, you insert the new word in brackets like this [this].
Exercise 1
Bob Snob, a banker believes that the state of the economy is desperate and that 'Millions of jobs are being lost everyday - we're in real pain here'.
Frank Rank, a cab driver asserts that the economy is looking much brighter and that 'Millions of new jobs are emerging. Things are really on the upswing'.
Frank Hairpiece, a prominent scholar argues that it is more important than ever for Americans to forge a common identity and that 'We need an identity that binds us together'
Yoshi Om, a philosopher claims that animal rights represent the next stage in human moral development and adds that 'if we don't change our ways, future generations will judge us harshly. We need to achieve a higher state of consciousness and empathy.'
Exercise 2
Holman Jenkins, a column writer for the Wall Street Journal speculates that...
In a 2013 published piece in the Boston Globe, Jeff Jacoby observes that...
19/07/2020
Queenspark location scouting
I was considering these spots fr the these, but the downside would be the traffic noise in the background from Kelvin Street.
I did like this spot, but for at least a metre, the ground is unstable and is a likely risk for the tripod to lose balance and potentially damage the camera.
I have deiced not to do this sot now all the leaves are gone because it's now a different season and I had not expected the impact of covid-19 at the time of selecting the shot
I found a more peaceful spot that looked very natural with no sign of the golf course in the background. It also made me realise that I will need tarps for the crew, as well as for the shot where Ashleigh sits. These peaceful spots is situated in the path between the centre of the park and the entrance on Queens Drive's north side entrance.
Just across from there would be for this shot.
When considering toilets is a downside since they are not conveniently close by and the closest is at a children's playground.
I consulted ICC Parks and Reserves about whether the closest parking would be accessible on a Sunday afternoon, which turns out it will be. The parking at Queens Drive's north side would be the backup parking if there are no vacant parks in the closest parking.
Might be good to have someone on he shoot like a first year film student that will look after the equipment
I may discuss with Ashleigh about shooting on an extra day in the event that it rains on the shoot day
20/07/2020
I worked on the Booking form for Parks and Reserves for a while. I also completed a version of a map of Queenspark where it indicates where I would be shooting at the park and the car parks and toilets that would be used.
I'm still trying to figure out where to shoot Guyton's interview. I might just tell him to come to the downtown campus at 1pm on that day for now.
21/07/2020
I took another look at the booking form and included the times that I would be filming and so on.
I spoke to James about the URSA and it turns out that it will be need by his classes fr this semester, so I will have to use the Sony FS5 for shooting the documentary and have to discuss with Nick at SIT Productions about using that. He isn't in at the moment.
I caught up with Doug and he'll see if any audio students are keen.
The press kit is important because this is what film festivals will want from you when submitting your film.
I caught up with Nick and he is fine with me using the FS5 camera until the weekend and I can just get it when I need it. I might try out using it tomorrow, especially how a shotgun mic works on it and hopefully better than the URSA.
50fps for close ups and b-roll at Queenspark to magnify the natural look of a green environment. The rest (especially the interviews) would be in 24fps. All of it would be in the industry standard 1080p.
Bradley from first year film is fine with being an AC and grip for my documentary.
Ashleigh is fine with the B-roll planned for Queenspark and has got climate strike placards that can used for the documentary. She also would be available the following Sunday after the shoot weekend if the weather is not good enough in the shoot weekend to film at Queenspark.
I now just have to submit my booking form to Parks and Reserves tomorrow.
I have figured out a pot for Guyton's interview, which will be in the business seminar room on campus by the old desk. The provided lighting and desk would suit the subject.
22/07/2020
Business as usual for my birthday today. I managed to email my form and supporting documents to ICC Parks and Reserves and got a start on my invoice
I spent some time familiarizing myself with FS5 today. Myself and a couple of guys from SIT Pro tried to get connect the camera with a Panasonic monitor, but it would only receive it as an unsupported signal. I may have to let Chris know about this.
Getting the equipment down was a challenge and got Gayle's help to get the trolley full of equipment into and out of the lift to downstairs. It was a simple challenge to figure out the Miller tripod that came with the FS5, plus what I learned from the last interview shoot helped.
I had to also sign a waiver for SIT Pro as part of hiring the FS5, its batteries, charger, tripod, and other kit.
An audio student asked to have a look at the audio gear ahead of the shoot to understand how it works. I'm too worn out to think or do something about this at the moment, so I look into it later.
23/07/2020
I did the lighting tests with Tyler and it didn't take as long as expected, only up to 45 minutes. We used Lowel lights and flags on c-stands to achieve the lighting that I had envisioned. At one point it looked satisfactory to me, but I wanted to if it was achievable to get a more soft strobe of light. This lighting style was inspired by a image included in my mood board.
Tyler also reckons we could bring along the Aladdin if need be for the Queenspark shoot.
Me and Tyler also figured out what was wrong with the Panasonic monitor. Apparently it's not compatible to view in 1080p, only as high as 720p or 1080i. SIT Pro recommended 720p.
SIT Pro also informed that it's not possible for me to get out the FS5 on the shoot weekend because they will be using it for the TED talk at CentreStage. I will need to let James know. Maybe I could use one of the BMCC cameras instead.

Comments
Post a Comment