BVA703 Research - S2 Week 3
24/07/2020
I made myself a big list of things to do and managed to have a productive day
- I updated what I could in my pre-production paperwork - scene breakdown, call sheets, filming schedule, and the invoice after revising the budget last night
- I spoke to Kathryn about getting access to the business seminar room and Upstage for my documentary. I would only need to tell her about a week in advance.
- I managed to get Leigh (first year film student) onboard to work as second assistant cameras and Oisin to work as the sound recordist
- I managed to teach myself how to use the Sennheiser EW100 G4 lapel mic through a YouTube tutorial. It took an hour until I got the lapel mic working through the Zoom H6 sound recorder. The lapel mic's transmitter and receiver sure needed a lot of batteries.
- I tried out shooting on the FS5 with the provided shotgun and the camera's internal mic. I then tried out ingesting the footage to see if it could be done through an SD card reader. It worked out fine, only to discover to find the footage overexposed and grainy, which would explain why the camera's focus peaking could detect the ISO grain. James' advice is to zoom magnify with the viewfinder and to rely more on the camera's ND filter.
- Luqman has suggested that I set up the URSA before going to the shoot location, which may not be effective because the mounts are bound to change between some shots.
New Slate Films. (2019, July 8). How to setup Sennheiser G4 wireless Lavalier - Complete tutorial [Video file]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHkD4EAtNjM

- I updated what I could in my pre-production paperwork - scene breakdown, call sheets, filming schedule, and the invoice after revising the budget last night
- I spoke to Kathryn about getting access to the business seminar room and Upstage for my documentary. I would only need to tell her about a week in advance.
- I managed to get Leigh (first year film student) onboard to work as second assistant cameras and Oisin to work as the sound recordist
- I managed to teach myself how to use the Sennheiser EW100 G4 lapel mic through a YouTube tutorial. It took an hour until I got the lapel mic working through the Zoom H6 sound recorder. The lapel mic's transmitter and receiver sure needed a lot of batteries.
- I tried out shooting on the FS5 with the provided shotgun and the camera's internal mic. I then tried out ingesting the footage to see if it could be done through an SD card reader. It worked out fine, only to discover to find the footage overexposed and grainy, which would explain why the camera's focus peaking could detect the ISO grain. James' advice is to zoom magnify with the viewfinder and to rely more on the camera's ND filter.
- Luqman has suggested that I set up the URSA before going to the shoot location, which may not be effective because the mounts are bound to change between some shots.
New Slate Films. (2019, July 8). How to setup Sennheiser G4 wireless Lavalier - Complete tutorial [Video file]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHkD4EAtNjM

26/07/2020
VICE. (2019, May 24). Make the world Greta again (Full documentary) - Time's 2019 person of the year [Video file]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCVQdr9QFwY&vl=en

Conflict - Ignorance from older generations and right-wing politicians.
It's remarkable to think that a documentary like this fell through the cracks during my research. This documentary can afford and offer insights at different spots around Europe leading up to the first international school climate strike in March 2019, includes Greta Thunberg and her story, and amazing VFX and animation for a documentary.
In my case, I may not be able to afford to have animation, VFX, or location shooting to this scale, but what I can offer that is different is showing the world the movement in a Pacific country and the effect that covid-19 has made on the New Zealand climate strikes.
This is essentially the documentary I would had made if covid-19 didn't happen or have any effect on my production.

29/07/2020
I have a badly sprained ankle after lifting the redhead kit Monday morning and a week of pains in my left ankle. This may have an effect on production.
I have decided to go ahead with filming the documentary next weekend and just not lift any equipment and leave it to the rest of the crew to do it for me. I have come to the realization that I may not do the filming at Queenspark or on the streets anytime soon sand will need to be postponed. The reasoning behind postponing is because I would be on my feet all the time shooting on the streets and at Queenspark, which I can't afford to do with my current injury.
It's going to be a challenge working around other solo film projects as well.
In the camera department, I will also may have to have a handheld camera operator onboard in my place or have all shots on a tripod. Having a monitor will now be a must. I will still consult with James about all this.
I tried to contact Parks and Reserves today because I submitted a week ago and still haven't heard anything back, so I thought I would just follow up. There was no one ringing them, which may not matter much because of my situation. I have also spent this afternoon updating my documentation.
30/07/2020
I heard back from Parks and Reserves and it sound like my application has been approved, but I am required to provide them with a location release form. I'm still deciding whether to do this or inform them to cancel the booking.
Comments
Post a Comment