BVA703 Research - S2 Week 8
01/09/2020
I had an early rough cut done for my documentary and showed it to Nick at SIT Pro and to Tyler and James in class today to give me constructive feedback. I wanted to see if I wasn't being too hard on myself with the editing and to see if it's as heavily flawed and monotonous as I thought.
Nick
- First half is engaging, but the other half goes too slow
- More B-roll is needed
- Massive cuts need to be made
Tyler & James
- More environmental B-roll to make the message clearer
- Cut about five minutes
- Music needed
- Transition between the subjects are needed - which is easier said than done
From watching this rough cut again, I have come to realise that I could remove most about the online climate strike since it was nationwide with nothing specific about Invercargill. I just to follow up with Ashleigh on the issue of sending me the photos and videos of the local climate strikes and perhaps behind the scenes stuff.
I finally received the climate strikes photos from Ashleigh, but no videos. The images were of the climate strikes in Wellington, Auckland, and Invercargill. I'm included in some of the Invercargill climate strike photos, which may make it like a director's cameo.
02/09/2020
I spent a productive afternoon editing and making major cuts to my documentary rough cut. I trimmed a majority of the online strike stuff, short snippets of Ashleigh's interview, and almost all of the logistical parts of Ashleigh's interview. I also made radical changes to the opening and remove parts that I no longer liked. I also added the images that I was sent of the climate strikes in New Zealand.
I switched around where the Greta Thunberg and the school strike movement in general was placed in the narrative for a better editing flow.
I tried to get my director's mainfesto printed today for the exhibition, but with no luck because the printers were all out of order on campus
03/09/2020
I helped out with setting up the exhibition today and managed to set up my exhibit. The video file on the USB drive worked fine on the TV and got the director's manifesto printed out.
This exhibition has come along good, we haven't been as prepared or organised as we thought we would be and compared to our previous exhibition, but I think we have done a good enough effort with putting together this exhibition. However, the high point of this exhibition was that when installing the works in the gallery, we knew what to do and resulted in a faster process as a team.
I had a couple at SIT Pro look at the new rough cut of my documentary and their feedback wasn't very encouraging. They saw that I improved on from last time, but believe that it's unclear on what message the documentary is meant to tell the audience, COVID-19 and the online strike (the third act) had no relevance to the documentary and needed to go, and that I need to have more than one person to talk about the local movement. I appreciate their input, but I don't agree with it.
I couldn't get another person in the local movement to be involved with this documentary. Enoch was out of the question, and so was the youth council, what was I supposed to do? Scrap the idea of this documentary?
It was brought to my attention that maybe the people at SIT Pro aren't satisfied because they aren't part of my target audience and their feedback is premature to the final product. What I think of my own project is the most important and I am very satisfied with the current progress.

Comments
Post a Comment