Digital Video - S2 Week 11
23/09/2020
I organised a time and place to do a test screening because I have been having a serious creative block concerning my editing after trying to work on my editing and getting overwhelmed as a result. It will be in the Boom Room on Monday afternoon.
Zaentz, P., Mekash, E. K., Popa, T., Eyrich, L., Kovtun, E., Nenninger, T., & Stelwagen, S. (Producers). (2020). Ratched [Television series]. Netflix.
Themes - sexuality, morality, macabre
I binged watched the new Netflix series, Ratched over the weekend. The characterization and events were strongly written enough to be engaging and have consistent, complex characters, and make you compelled to watch each episode, but was ultimately flawed in the overall writing with numerous plot holes.
Showrunner Ryan Murphy had a chance to have an original take on the infamous cinema villian from One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest, Nurse Ratched, but instead carried over his aesethic and visual style from American Horror Story (especially from the second season) in a way where it seemed more like a new season of American Horror Story than something stand-alone. Murphy's choice of doing this made it look self-indulgent. However if it was a season of American Horror Story, it would be the best season I have seen in a long time.
25/09/2020
I found a couple of better, Creative Commons licensed images from Flickr that I could use instead of wasting money on buying them from Pond5.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/european_parliament/49617793533/in/photolist-2iAyamR-2hYiSpM-2hYjZnt-2iAAP3B-2hXWhk8-TpR7mS-2iBmUAc-TpR7m1-2iAyapm-2g5TikU-2jpCgdi-2hXYLVU-2hrsuNa-2j29dy5-2iAANZW-2hiEBea-2iBojNK-2hHijwA-2jpztcm-2e6X7cq-2hn8sBM-2hYgmJa-2hYgnXT-2hi8yBd-2i593Yd-2ijeDLi-2hZen68-2g5TCsf-2iBmUHb-2iBoiz2-2iBmUNg-2iBoiJk-2iBjfFa-T2Pzas-2g3Sa9d-2iBmVcY-2iBmV9g-2iBjgbd-2iBmVhH-2iAyaop-2iBmVKw-2iBjgqw-2iBjgEz-2jfk48f-2iBmVRJ-2jpDtrR-2iBjgYq-2iBojGs-2iBojHz-2iBjgjQ
https://www.flickr.com/photos/quintanomedia/49203885236/in/photolist-2hXYLQU-2g5NnFU-2eaeDQM-2hEwMxW-TpUpkA-2hXZSr2-2hYjY1R-2eaeDSF-2hYgmJF-2hYiR71-2hYgmKh-2i6MkFp-2iAyamR-2hYiSpM-2hYjZnt-2iAAP3B-2hXWhk8-TpR7mS-2iBmUAc-TpR7m1-2iAyapm-2g5TikU-2jpCgdi-2hXYLVU-2hrsuNa-2j29dy5-2iAANZW-2hiEBea-2iBojNK-2hHijwA-2jpztcm-2e6X7cq-2hn8sBM-2hYgmJa-2hYgnXT-2hi8yBd-2i593Yd-2ijeDLi-2hZen68-2g5TCsf-2iBmUHb-2iBoiz2-2iBmUNg-2iBoiJk-2iBjfFa-T2Pzas-2g3Sa9d-2iBmVcY-2iBmV9g-2iBjgbd
https://www.flickr.com/photos/european_parliament/33744056568/in/photolist-TpR7oL-TpR7nJ-2jpztbV-TpR7mw-2hXYLQU-2g5NnFU-2eaeDQM-2hEwMxW-TpUpkA-2hXZSr2-2hYjY1R-2eaeDSF-2hYgmJF-2hYiR71-2hYgmKh-2i6MkFp-2iAyamR-2hYiSpM-2hYjZnt-2iAAP3B-2hXWhk8-TpR7mS-2iBmUAc-TpR7m1-2iAyapm-2g5TikU-2jpCgdi-2hXYLVU-2hrsuNa-2j29dy5-2iAANZW-2hiEBea-2iBojNK-2hHijwA-2jpztcm-2e6X7cq-2hn8sBM-2hYgmJa-2hYgnXT-2hi8yBd-2i593Yd-2ijeDLi-2hZen68-2g5TCsf-2iBmUHb-2iBoiz2-2iBmUNg-2iBoiJk-2iBjfFa-T2Pzas
26/09/2020
I managed to shoot some B-roll at Queens Park. The questionable weather made the shoot a gamble to commence with. I also overestimated how much filming equipment I could carry (FS5 case, tripod, Zoom sound recorder case, and miscellaneous bag) and ended up being a big cost physically. It got worse when the sun came out and it got hot. I was so fatigued and out of energy from carrying the equipment that I didn't do the brief shoot at the Water Tower Reserve.
If I am to do the Estuary shoot, I will need to limit myself to only bringing along the FS5 case and tripod, since that would be more manageable on my own.
27/09/2020
I recovered from the B-roll shoot and added the B-roll into the original rough cut. I am becoming to realise that I am liking the shorter version more and the long version less. I also added some music to the edit, and added the new Greta images, as well as manipulating the motion of the images.
28/09/2020
In the test screening, I showed third year film and animation students and tutors both my long and short rough cuts. A majority agreed that I should remove the sexist and conspiracy theorist sound bite, the long rough cut is too long, and that I should have do more on the extending elements to make my story clearer, which I disagree with since it would risk my time management, integrity, and mental health. It shows what can be interpreted by someone like myself with a neurodiverse vision, may not be clear to those with a neurotypical mind.
Rachel believes that I am at a lost because I don't have a central message and that's because I don't know how to express the message and was stuck on it.
Most of the feedback from the test screening provided me with vague solutions more on what to do, but were also solutions where I wouldn't know how to achieve it or process it, making the feedback redundant.
The feedback from the test screening didn't make me any less lost on going forward than before. It was no better than the feedback from SIT Pro.
I might be getting feedback from Duncan Sarkies on my short rough cut tomorrow. His feedback might help more.




Comments
Post a Comment