Digital Video - S2 Week 12
29/09/2020
I managed to obtain permission from Diego Casanova to use his images for my documentary. We had a tutorial on this new lighting kit from SIT Pro, which was too bright for me to appreciate. How the lights can saturated and changes hue makes it look amazing.
James told us that in the film industry, you can either work in the industry or be a filmmaker, not both.
New Zealand films are more likely to be successful f they have a big-name producer that knows how to market a film and that's ho films like Sone' Wedding, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, and Savage grossed six figures in the local box office. The other thing is that one thing that New Zealand film schools doesn't teach is marketing and aspiring filmmakers tend to either get in debt or have inexperience in effectively promoting their film.
I sent an unlisted video link of my current rough cut to Tyler and Jacqui since they were absent from my test screening. I also sent the link to Nick at SIT Pro. Jacqui wll get back to me next week since she is busy this week.
Tyler suggested for an overhaul of the edit and that it currently lacks structure or consistency. He also suggested to watch documentaries again and breakdown them down. I would do that with new ones on Netflix like The Social Dilemmas and Challenger, but not ones I like (2040, The Inconvenient Truth) since I had already done that during the covid-19 lockdown as part of my research.
For now, I am still and surely at a standstill with my editing.
30/09/2020
I had an one-on-one session with Duncan Sarkies and he gave me very positive feedback. He liked the structure and pacing. However, he thought the start was too choppy and made too many points and the staged parts were irrelevant. He was felt it was necessary bring back establishing Invercargill into the rough cut.
His feedback inspired me with more confidence and encouragement.
I spent some time trying out those suggestions made by Sarkies and see what happens. I spent some time, but I will do more later with a fresher mind.
04/10/2020
Busy weekend doing BTS photography. It was a really cramped space, but I still had a good time away from worrying about my own project. Jacqui really appreciated my contribution. It was an interesting change of pace of capturing film production with still photography, rather than moving image, which made it challenging since I couldn't capture things as effective as with moving image. It was also the fact that I was out of practice with DSLR photography after two years away from that.
I improved with using the DSLR on the Saturday shoot since I knew by then how to find the sweet spots when focusing on the Canon DSLR. I must say, it was a lot easier and reliable than a Nikon DSLR.
I spent some time today post-processing the images on Camera Raw. It was also to see how the images came out in terms of the focusing. The images on the Friday night shoot were more likely to be out of focus and grainy.
Comments
Post a Comment